New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

I just got a Western Digital 500GB external HD also, and while it works great for me so far, if you read the reviews here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/...l?ord=&tag=nav

about half of the reviews are from people whose unit just stopped working after a few weeks. Can get it pretty cheap, but maybe you get what you pay for? I have heard Seagate is a reliable brand.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You should check out other threads. Not only are there tons of them on this topic you can find by searching, but there's already a current one going under this very subforum.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This is not a commercial endorsement (I am just a satisfied customer) but I have consistently found really good prices, top quality and fast shipping from Tiger Direct (www.tigerdirect.com). I have bought numerous hard drives and other bits of computer equipment from them. They do an excellent job and almost always have the best prices.

Of course if you want a REALLY good deal, troll around eBay for a while. Lots of NEW hard drives there, still in shrink wrap, for outstanding prices. I have bought one or two of these over the years too.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
teh stone

teh stone is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't recommend a Western Digital. I bought a 400gb Mybook from them and had lots of problems with it, I sent it in for a replacement which worked without a problem and the new drive works fine so far. However several of my friends have had issues with WD's products in the past.

I recently purchased a Seagate 500gb free agent drive and I've found it to be a great drive. It runs great, standard transfer rate, smaller than most external drives. The only downside is that it isn't formatted for mac out of the box but a few minutes with disk utility and it's good to go for use on both PC and Mac.

Yay first post! hehe
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Where did you get the Seagate 500 GB? How much was it? With all the stories I've heard about WD, I'm thinking about returning it and getting a Seagate.
QUOTE Thanks
y2kjonrichards

y2kjonrichards is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have an iMac and I am into video editing so need more storage for my mac.

I have been looking for an external hard drive for quite a while now but can't find one right for me.

I need one that is firewire and transfers data as quick as possible and I need it to be at least 500GB.

What external hard drives do you own and/or would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

PS. Anyone know what dual firewire does?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

IIRC Dual Firewire simply means it has 2 Firewire ports so you can daisy chain Firewire devices off of it.

If you're smart, you'll go out and buy an empty case that you like and then buy a drive to put in it. You get more bang for your buck this way. This way you get to decide what you want and can take advantage of sales on drives and empty cases. Any goo computer store (FRY's, CompUSA, BestBuy etc) will have this stuff, or you can look on-line and probably get even better deals.

QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

I bought a 500GB WD Mybook premiem. It has a USB2.0 and Firewire400. It was only $179CAD at Costco. It would have cost me that or more to buy a 500GB HD then buy a firewire enclosure.
QUOTE Thanks
dave95070

dave95070 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 4g ram 500g HD

How did it go?

I have a similar problem, I have a La Cie External NAS drive.

I smelled something funny inside the unit so I immediately shut it down and extracted the hard drive.

I'm going to buy an external USB enclosure to access the data via that route.

Where you sucessful?
QUOTE Thanks
y2kjonrichards

y2kjonrichards is on a distinguished road

Today I went out and bought a Maxtor Onetouch III for my iMac and when I got home I saw alot of online reviews saying that Maxtor is rubbish etc.

I am now really worried that my drive will not last long and I may lose important data.

Seagate FreeAgents seam to be the most popular option but on the description for them it says (Read Only) next to OS X. What does this mean?

What do you think? Should I return my Maxtor asap and spend a little more on a Seagate?

Thanks In Advance.
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

I have a Seagate 500 gig and it seems alright. It comes formatted in NTFS which means that OSX can only read it and not write to it. For the Mac to be able to write to the drive it must be formatted as a FAT32 volume or with HFS+ which is the Mac file format.
QUOTE Thanks
kata_tutu

kata_tutu is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook and want to buy an external hard-disk to save my edited movies. Can I use this same hard-disk on both the PC and the Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Yes you can. You have the option of a variety of shared file systems. If you are just going to put movies on it, Windows FAT32 will likely work just fine, and is supported natively by both Mac OS X and Windows.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kata_tutu

kata_tutu is on a distinguished road

I was told at PC World that the Mac requires NTFS and would NOT be compatible with the PC. I would like to keep a hard-disk to save BOTH my Mac and my PC vids.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kata_tutu View Post
I was told at PC World that the Mac requires NTFS and would NOT be compatible with the PC. I would like to keep a hard-disk to save BOTH my Mac and my PC vids.
Mac is in THEORY compatible with FAT32, which Windows is too. However, there have been problems for many since the Mac OS 10.4.10 "update". Many of us, including myself, can no longer access our FAT32 drives. I do not know if that is everyone or not. So you might like to check with the specific computer you are looking to buy.

I hope they fix that terrible update soon!
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »