New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Apple Cinema Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shane82388

shane82388 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

anyone know if the apple cinema displays are going to be updated soon or is it fairly safe to buy one?

i want to get an 23" to go along with my mac book pro but dont want to get screwed.

does anyone know how "refurbished" the apple refurbished stuff really is? is it like new or is it better off to just buy it new?

if i cant tell its used i might just get a refurb 23" to save some cash but i dont want to get it if its noticeable its been refurbished...anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

If you want to save some cash, buy the Dell displays. They use the exact same LCD panel as the Cinema displays.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the "other hardware and peripherals" subforum.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

yeah was debating if it should go in rumors or not cuz if there was a "rumor" of a new monitor design.

i just kinda want the apple cuz it looks so nice and goes with all my stuff i guess i dono....
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Quote:
From MacSlice:
The new Apple Cinema Displays will include a built in iSight camera (1.3MP), along with a thinner case design that is styled similarly to the iMac (Smoother brushed aluminum, thinner and a black Apple logo). The 20 inch model will be removed and new 24 inch, 30 inch and 32 inch models will arrive - all LED backlit. These new displays will contain no mercury, and be “eco-friendly”as part of Apple’s new campaign to be “green”.
I'm not sure how reliable this place is, having not really been in the mac-rumor business until recently but it sounds pretty accurate.

As far as I know, the refurbished stuff is pretty decent. My sister bought a refurbished iPod a few months ago and hasn't had any problems.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
If you want to save some cash, buy the Dell displays. They use the exact same LCD panel as the Cinema displays.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the "other hardware and peripherals" subforum.
Which Apple displays use the same panels as which Dell displays? My 24" Dell is far better than the 23" Apple - Its no wonder then if they have squashed the panel! Or are you talking about the 30" Display - I have a couple of reviews which don't agree! I am not saying you are wrong I'm just asking a question!

The other thing is that the Dell displays have more input options

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

From the reviews I've read, the Dell Ultrasharp models use the same LCD panel as the Cinema displays. I think they're made by Philips. In the reviews I've read, the reviewers actually crack open the displays and check out in insides, so I trust them.

True, the Dell displays do have more inputs and a cheaper price: it makes me wonder why anyone would buy a Cinema display unless they have to have an Apple product and money isn't a critical factor. I think the new Dell displays even have a built-n camera, which I've been saying Apple should do for ages.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane82388 View Post
does anyone know how "refurbished" the apple refurbished stuff really is? is it like new or is it better off to just buy it new?
My wife bought a Macbook refurb for her work and it looked brand new. My new MBP is also a refurb and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't think you would be able to tell my MBP is a refurb product.

Try eBay for the 23" ACD too. I bought mine there and it's been great.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Apple will have new Cinema displays with LED backlighting by the end of 2008, because Stevie said they're converting all of their displays over to LEDs by then. So all we know right now is that we will have new displays sometime in the next year and a half. I'm hoping they offer them with an integrated webcam

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

The refurbs prices are not low enough in my opinion and then it is just luck if they happen to have just what you want. Also my daughter gets a full student discount and that is not available with refurbs so it is about the same price new as refurbed. I know people who have bought refurbs though and they have literally been as new!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
That's what I did. I just got a 24" Dell for $330 less than the 23" Apple. It uses a newer, better display with 92% color gamut. It has DVI (HDCP), VGA, Component, S-Video, and Composite inputs. It has a 4-port USB hub and an integrated card reader. I can tilt it forward and backwards, rotate it 90 degrees, spin it side-to-side, and adjust the height up and down. It even has a VESA mount so that I was able to mount it on my Ergotron LX LCD arm!

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post
That's what I did. I just got a 24" Dell for $330 less than the 23" Apple. It uses a newer, better display with 92% color gamut. It has DVI (HDCP), VGA, Component, S-Video, and Composite inputs. It has a 4-port USB hub and an integrated card reader. I can tilt it forward and backwards, rotate it 90 degrees, spin it side-to-side, and adjust the height up and down. It even has a VESA mount so that I was able to mount it on my Ergotron LX LCD arm!
I have the same arm! How high will yours hold your monitor? Mine will only hold it up to about 10 inches off my desktop. I don't need any more than that, but it's a bit disappointing. I've tightened it as much as I can.

QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

yeah...oh well, i went and bought a 23" after debating between it and the 30" for a month or so...

its way bigger in person than i thought it would be. this thing is amazing actually. i personally love it. yeah the dell is what it is, but i know even thought it may be better and cheaper, i wouldnt be truely happy with it hooked up to my MBP as opposed to this beast which matches and what not...oh well, im more than happy right now so i guess thats all that really matters in the end.
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

p.s. - glad to hear the newer ones will come out at the end of 2008 an i wont be totally screwed after having just spend bank on this one and find out in 2 months the new ones are coming out in a few weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Congrats on your purchase. If it's what you want and you're happy, that's all that matters. Post a pic of your new setup in "the official setup thread" so we can check it out.

QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have the same arm! How high will yours hold your monitor? Mine will only hold it up to about 10 inches off my desktop. I don't need any more than that, but it's a bit disappointing. I've tightened it as much as I can.
Hi Fleurya,
Which monitor did u go with exactly? I think I am going to go with dell also since they are the same monitor for much less and VESA already.
Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac compatible Walgreens ink refills | WD My Book- Ethernet »