New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

EyeTV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teh_Derek

Teh_Derek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD

What kind of antenna are we talking about?

Something I can install myself?

Thanks.

Desktop.Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz/Gigabyte 965P-DS3/Ultra 500watt/Patriot 1gb/Nvidia 7900gs/500gb,250gb,200gb.
MacBook.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz/1GB DDR2 667/80GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Alright.
So I purchased the Hybrid TV Tuner Hybrid, installed it, and its saying ''Device could not be initialized''

I also have an antenna thats coax and it fits perfectly on my tuner.

OK.
I updated, and I am getting heavy static TV, streaming.

Thanks.

Desktop.Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz/Gigabyte 965P-DS3/Ultra 500watt/Patriot 1gb/Nvidia 7900gs/500gb,250gb,200gb.
MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First step
Go to antennaweb.org.

Go through their picking an antenna questionnaire, with your address and they will provide you with a listing of the best type of antenna, a map of the broadcast towers related to your location, and a listing of the available digital broadcast stations in your area.

Picking up these digital signal is directional - so you will want to have your antenna facing the broadcast tower.

If you are using an indoor antenna, I have tried at least a dozen of them from cheap to not so cheap, none of them are that great, a few are better than others. If you have an rooftop type antenna, changing the direction it is pointing may provide a great deal of help with the signal.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Alright.
I am in an apartment though, I am next to a window with a balcony for mounting.

I also got the DVI cable, I already had a DVI to HDMI for my PC to TV, it works great.

And Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Being in an apartment may be pretty tuff to pick up ota signals depending on how far you are from the towers and possibly whether you can get clear line of site.
With all the indoor antennas I tried, would suggest you talk to the Dish installer about also getting him to add an antenna. It mounts directly onto the satellite dish. See what he thinks about the reception possibilities for ota in the location he will need to install the satellite.

QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Alright.
He'll be here tomorrow.

How do I hook my 360 up via component cables?

I hooked them up, but nothing appeared on the MacBook when I turned the 360 on.

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You cannot connect the 360 to the Hybrid via component cables. There is no component connection. You will have to use either s-video or composite video, with s-video being preferred.

QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Alright.

So should the guy from the TV company carry around an antenna, or something to attach to the dish?

Or should I call ahead.

I want to watch/record HD TV *Streamed* , then record it while connected to my TV.

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

The guy doesn't have one.
I have two types of antennas, ones a thin pole with a metal ball at the top, around 8 inches tall, and another is smaller but in a plastic housing.

Could modding them get better reception?
I am in an apartment, but right next to a window with a balcony.

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

First step
Go to antennaweb.org.

QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

I didnt understand what to do with the information I was given when I entered my information.

I am going to RadioShack later tonight.

My best bet is probably a strong antenna, mounted outside, right?

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Best bet is always an external rooftop antenna.
On the first page of results - change the selection to "Show digital stations only".
It will give you a list of the digital stations broadcsting in your area.
Each station will be highlighted in a color indicating the type of antenna that will provide the best reception in your area.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 22.png (11.0 KB, 1 views)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Next click on the link above it that says "View Street Level Map".
This will give you a map showing your location in relation to the broadcast towers and which direction you will want to point a directional antenna.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 25.png (47.7 KB, 1 views)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Then at the top of the page click on the link "Antenna Info".
This will take you to a page telling you about the different types of antennas.
There will be a picture like the following:
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 24.png (23.9 KB, 1 views)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

When you go shopping for an antenna - this guide will be on the packaging of external antennas. You will want to pick an antenna based on the color match; yellow, green, red, that was supplied for the stations you want to be able to tune to.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Harddrive Cache | Increasing ram usage »