New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

EyeTV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teh_Derek

Teh_Derek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD

Thanks.
I was thinking of getting the hybrid.

The page says HD TV, so would that mean it records in HD, if the content is HD, or it streams HD.

How would I find out what channels and shows are one the streaming TV.

Thanks.

Desktop.Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz/Gigabyte 965P-DS3/Ultra 500watt/Patriot 1gb/Nvidia 7900gs/500gb,250gb,200gb.
MacBook.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz/1GB DDR2 667/80GB.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The EyeTV hybrid will record ota (remember this is your local over-the-air TV stations) digital signals. Some of these will be in what is called SD or Standard Definition and some will be in HD or Hi Definition. It will record whatever ota signal the tuner can pick up.

Part of your consideration between the Hybrid and the 250 Plus should be this: the Hybrid will use your CPU for encoding the video stream that you are capturing, the 250 Pro has it's own hardware encoder to take the bulk of the work off of your CPU. The processor in your Macbook should be plenty capable of taking the load dependant upon how much multi-tasking you want to do while recording. If you try to do a lot of other things while recording with the Hybrid, you may experience either slow downs on the system or pixelation in your recordings. I have the Hybrid (neither the 250 Pro nor the HD Homerun were out when I bought mine) and it seems to do an adequate job, although I don't use it much as my XP machine sits around all lonely nowadays, so I still use it for most of the recording from TV that I do.

Don't understand your last question.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Like with the streaming TV, I assume its like being on a TV.

So, the Hybrid, will record content on my TV to my MacBook?

Thats what I really want.

And hows the quality with connecting an Xbox 360?
The youtube videos arent the best quality.

Thanks.

The 250 Plus doesn't have good reviews. The Apple store had both of the tuners, I am going back Friday and purchasing one.

Just so everyone can understand I want the tuner to be able to record the TV shows and movies that are available on my TV.
I want to get the best quality when I record the content to my MacBook, to save as a file.
I'll have an HD subscription with my TV, and I want the best quality.
I'd like to be able to play my Xbox 360 clear and fast on the MacBook.

Stuff like that.

Thanks.

Desktop.Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz/Gigabyte 965P-DS3/Ultra 500watt/Patriot 1gb/Nvidia 7900gs/500gb,250gb,200gb.
MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Derek View Post
So, the Hybrid, will record content on my TV to my MacBook?
Yes and from your VHS video recorder
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

VHS recorder?

What?

So, the Hybrid will do everything I listed?

Do I have to buy any additional items?

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
So, the Hybrid will do everything I listed?
I dont own any games consoles so cant answer re the xbox but from what ive read online i gather it does work

Quote:
Do I have to buy any additional items?

Thanks.
A large fast external hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1) From where are you getting your TV signal - from antenna, cable box, satellite receiver????

2) Yes, you will probably need at least a couple of additional cables to connect your devices to the EyeTV. You will need to look at your devices, the TV, cable box, satellite receiver, etc. and see what type of connections are available on them for output.

3) The only content you will be able to record in HD will be by using the NTSC tuner (aka digital tuner or HD tuner) in the EyeTV to get your local over-the-air channels that are picked up by an external antenna and the antenna is connected to the EyeTV with a coax cable.

4) There are three ways to get a signal into the EyeTV.

A) Coax cable connected to an external antenna to receive your over-the-air local TV channels - like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, if you don't know what channels are your locals vs those fed from a cable or satellite box - ????

B) S-Video cable - this is the one you will use to connect your Xbox and most other equipment - it will not be in HD when it makes it into your computer as this cable does not have the capability of passing through HD quality signals - it should be as good as DVD quality

C) Composite cable - you do not want to use this connection except as a last resort as it will have the worst signal of the lot - definitely not in HD

Of these three cables, only the coax will also provide you with the audio portion of the content. With 'B' or 'C' you will also need to connect audio cables to get the sound from the device.

For me to be any more specific - you will have to give me your specific TV model, cable box or satllite model, etc.

5) Unless you are just watching a show and/or burning it to DVD and then deletling it - you will very rapidly fill up your hard drive. If you are wanting to save your recorded stuff, you will need more external storage space, sooner rather than later.

QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Well, I am getting the HD DirecTV, its not here yet, so I cant say what it has and doesnt have, my LCD TV is an HD TV with an HD TV tuner, does that help? I found out my 300gb external hard drive will work on my Mac, so I can use that for extra storage.

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

You can use a Direct TV box with composite cables but it won't be in HD. The only HD you can watch and record on your computer is over-the-air from an antenna. Having a TV has nothing to do with this product, the signal goes from the source to your computer, no TV is needed, unless you were using a TV as your monitor for your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Is there a TV guide or something for the over the air stuff?

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Is there a TV guide or something for the over the air stuff?

Thanks.
Your local newspaper, but it won't do you any good unless you have an external antenna. You should ask the DirecTV installer if they can put up an antenna for you also

And don't bother with composite cable (and to everyone else out there using composite when you have an available s-video, I suggest you switch) - all my old DirecTV receivers includ'g the HD reciever have s-video out - This will give you the best possible picture from the receiver.

You should be using component cables from the receiver to your TV.
Their newest receiver may have HDMI out, if so use that to the TV instead of somponent.

The second option for going from the receiver to the EyeTV would be to use the receiver's coax output. Have not tried this, but could give it try this weekend and let you know.

QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Alright.
I am going with Dish Network.
There coming here Saturday, I am getting it tomorrow.

So what do I have to ask them for?

I am going to the Apple store, anything I should pick up?

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If you have a Radio Shack anywhere close - you don't want to buy cables from the Apple store - so no.

You should be able to connect using s-video cable and a set of regular RCA audio cables from the DishNetwork receiver to the EyeTV.

QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

So what do I need from the DishNetwork person, like an antenna?

I'll go to the Apple store, buy the tuner, and go to like a Best Buy or something and get the other kind of cables, which are, audio cables?

What are all the types of cables I'll need.

Besides the tuner, whats everything else, I'll need.

Thanks.

MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

1) You can ask the DishNetwork installer to add an ota antenna - this is an option and it will cost you extra on the installation fee
2) You will need an s-video cable - this will get the video portion to your EyeTV
3) You will need an RCA jack audio cable - this will get the sound to your EyeTV
4) You will need either a component cable or an HDMI cable for connecting the receiver to your TV

Do not go buy any of these until after your DishNetwork installation. The receiver you're getting installed may have all of these cables included in the box - just don't remember.

And I will try one other connection method Saturday morning and post back if there is a better option for connecting to the EyeTV.
Should have this before your installer gets done.

(Note to self - quit procrastinating and finish the connection guide you started 2 months ago)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Harddrive Cache | Increasing ram usage »