New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

NAS for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unclewiggles

unclewiggles is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I need some advice.

I want to get myself a NAS for my network so that I can access it on my mac/pc while in the house and also via the internet when I am away from my local network. Ive been looking at the western digital world disk (i think its called that) but it says that it wont work with mac.

Can any one give me some advice on what I should be looking for?

The most inportant feature that I need it to have is that I can access it remotely

Many thanks,

Tom

Mac Spec:

Mac book
Mac OS X 10.4.10
@ GHz Intel core duo
2Gb ram
60 Gd HHD
QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

SmokingFetus is an unknown at this point

Well you could always get a cheap external and turn on some sharing options in your System Preferences.

Or wait and buy Leopard, subscribe to .Mac, and use the Back to My Mac feature.
QUOTE Thanks
ret63

ret63 is on a distinguished road

I bought the WD drive and returned it the following week. The problem was it sound like a airplane was taking off in my living room. The Buffalo Terastation works pretty good, but is a little more expensive $500+. But the problem is allow the files access to the internet. Some inculding the terastation can be setup to access file via FTP (wich depending on your internet provider may or may not allow you to open this port up)
The WD uses a internet subscription base software that is REAL slow to access you files. You can basiaclly use any drive to do the same thing.
Hopfully this help you...
RET
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'm actually interested in this as well. I've been doing some research and found that the LaCie Big Disk works well with both Macs and PCs, but that the web configuration is really slow.

There is also the Maxtor Shared Storage II which works extremely well with both Macs and PCs, and even offers backup software. I found some good reviews for that here and here.

The first Mac compatible NAS that I came across was the Fantom G-Force MegaDisk. I can't seem to find any reviews beyond those at online retailers, but all of those seem to be extremely positive.

I'm leaning toward either the Fantom or the Maxtor drives, but I'm going to do some more research before I finally decide. Perhaps somebody else can give us some other options.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
sprite

Location: Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
sprite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD

I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live and it allows remote access... I have a dynamic IP though so not using it. You just need to forward ports 20 and 21 from your router afaik.

But I set it all up last night, required NO effort really whatsoever, great bit of kit, works great with both my new MBP and my brother's older Powerbook.

iTunes also sees it and it does all sorts of other nifty things.. check it out!!

Plus it's not noisy at all really
QUOTE Thanks
sprite

Location: Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
sprite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD

Bump

Just wanted to say that the Buffalo LinkStation Live still works flawlessly in Leopard, even better with the new Networking settings as you don't have to manually connect to it.

And it's still there in iTunes :>
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP and TV by DVI question | Using USB hubs w/ the MBP »