Thread: NAS for mac

Cool NAS for mac
    Hi there,

I need some advice.

I want to get myself a NAS for my network so that I can access it on my mac/pc while in the house and also via the internet when I am away from my local network. Ive been looking at the western digital world disk (i think its called that) but it says that it wont work with mac.

Can any one give me some advice on what I should be looking for?

The most inportant feature that I need it to have is that I can access it remotely

Many thanks,

Mac Spec:

Mac book
    Mac OS X 10.4.10
    @ GHz Intel core duo
    2Gb ram
    60 Gd HHD

Well you could always get a cheap external and turn on some sharing options in your System Preferences.

Or wait and buy Leopard, subscribe to .Mac, and use the Back to My Mac feature.

I bought the WD drive and returned it....
    I bought the WD drive and returned it the following week. The problem was it sound like a airplane was taking off in my living room. The Buffalo Terastation works pretty good, but is a little more expensive $500+. But the problem is allow the files access to the internet. Some inculding the terastation can be setup to access file via FTP (wich depending on your internet provider may or may not allow you to open this port up)
    The WD uses a internet subscription base software that is REAL slow to access you files. You can basiaclly use any drive to do the same thing.
    Hopfully this help you...

Irvine, CA
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I'm actually interested in this as well. I've been doing some research and found that the LaCie Big Disk works well with both Macs and PCs, but that the web configuration is really slow.

There is also the Maxtor Shared Storage II which works extremely well with both Macs and PCs, and even offers backup software. I found some good reviews for that here and here.

The first Mac compatible NAS that I came across was the Fantom G-Force MegaDisk. I can't seem to find any reviews beyond those at online retailers, but all of those seem to be extremely positive.

I'm leaning toward either the Fantom or the Maxtor drives, but I'm going to do some more research before I finally decide. Perhaps somebody else can give us some other options.

June 2007
    July 2009

Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
    iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
    I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live and it allows remote access... I have a dynamic IP though so not using it. You just need to forward ports 20 and 21 from your router afaik.

But I set it all up last night, required NO effort really whatsoever, great bit of kit, works great with both my new MBP and my brother's older Powerbook.

iTunes also sees it and it does all sorts of other nifty things.. check it out!!

Plus it's not noisy at all really

Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
    iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD

Just wanted to say that the Buffalo LinkStation Live still works flawlessly in Leopard, even better with the new Networking settings as you don't have to manually connect to it.

And it's still there in iTunes :>

Thread Information