New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Questions for Apple TV owners.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ghall83

ghall83 is on a distinguished road

I have considered the Apple TV and for the price/size its a steal.
Question 1. how rich is the video playback quality? I have looked at the ones on display in two different apple stores and i was not impressed. They had it running on a HD TV but the image quality was poor, When i asked the salesman about it he jumped around my concern by saying that when your watching it from a distance the image looks fine .
Question 2. I have a 56' TV and i will be storing the movies on a 1TB external USB 2 hard drive attached to the AppleTV. Would i be able to play .AVI or would i have to convert the movies to another format? I noticed the website states m4v, .mp4, and .mov formats but hoping there might be a way around that, i dont need to know the process yet, just if its possible.
Question 3. How user friendly is it with recording TV? this is because my gf would be using this feature and she get frustrated with technology very easily.

Sorry to ask you guys this when i should have asked the guy at the apple store but after the first answer he gave me, i was affraid to ask any others.
Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

Playback quality is dependant of the source. If you use a decoder to rip movies (and do so in the highest level for an Apple tv) they look DVD quality.

You can't use the Apple tv USB for anything but diagnostics. That being said you can turn off the option in iTunes to import files when adding to your library (in essence creating a shortcut) and drag the files you want to sync from your external drive on your network to iTunes.

Not sure about .avi files I think only h.264.

Apple tv does not record tv. You can take files from a Tivo and add it to iTunes and then watch it on Apple tv but there is no ability to use your Apple tv as a DVR.

Think of an Apple tv like an iPod for your TV.

My wife picked one up for me erlier this month and I ended up taking it back (and paying th $40 restocking fee) not becuase I didn't like it, just in case Uncle Steve announces a new version later this month.

I'll pick another one up regardless the same time I pick up Leapord.

Hope that helps.

http://www.mmmii.com

Home: 15" 2.6GHz MPB; 160gig TV; 16gig White 3G iPhone; 80gig 5.5 iPod; Gen 2 shuffle. Work: 17" 2.5 GHz MPB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External dvd burner recommendations | HP 1600n drivers »