New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Ultimate Home Media Center!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

julian awesome

julian awesome is on a distinguished road

There seems to be so many options these days but which is the best?

Some people have a xbox networked to their mac and use it as a media center.
Some people somehow seem to do it with an Ps3 maybe?
Some people have a NAS hard drive hooked up to there router.
(not really certain how that helps)
Some people are content with Apple TV.
Some people buy another computer (Macmini) and just plug that sucker into thier TV.
I've even heard of some other gagets like the Archos..
I'm completely lost on this one.
I want to put together the best and most usable/stable/simple system I can afford but what is it? I have no clue? Too many options and limitations.

Personally I really want to avoid using pc/windows.
I want to avoid apple tv because it seems a bit limiting.
I was hoping I could do this with a Sony PS3 but I hear it's nearly impossible. Is this true?

Are there any options I'm unaware of. I just want to be able to access all my media on my Macbooks ext. hdd (which is in the back office) on my t.v. in the living room. What are you guys using. I would think many of you have some great setups. If anyone can make some suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

-thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

the mac mini makes the most sense to me, its got everything the apple tv has, plus a dvd player.
QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

SmokingFetus is an unknown at this point

For a while I was streaming my media to my Xbox 360 using connect360, but I grew tired of transcoding my movies, especially .mkv's. It became a pain so i started to look at HTPC's.

Ended up settling on the Mac Mini. Got an incredible deal on a refurb unit ($475 for 1.83 Core Duo w/superdrive and advertised 512MB of ram, but actually came with a gig). Only came with an 80GB HDD, but I have my imac with my external drives acting as a media server so it's not a big deal.

It's great as it will handle every filetype (and with perian most filetypes work in front row). Handles HD without the bat of an eye, although I have yet to try and stream 1080p .264. I love being able to surf the web from my couch. I have canceled my cable as I can now get my TV shows and movies online and Joost looks better than the standard def channels anyway. If I feel the need I could subscribe to cable again and buy an EyeTV and have a fully functioning DVR.

I absolutely love my new setup, but I probably wouldn't have gone this route if I didn't get such a good deal. But seeing as your willing to drop the cash for a PS3 I couldn't recommend this option enough.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

For the ultimate - here is the one I've been drooling over.

Now you could probably do something like this yourself with enough knowhow.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
julian awesome

smokingfetus> Wow! thanks for the info.. lots of info. exactly the kind of reply I'm looking for. Giving me something to think about and good examples of what you can do with it. The mini is soundng like a good idea. I like the idea of being able to play any media I want without having to do a lot of converting and scence it's just another mac it seems like it would be pretty easy to access the files on my macbooks ext hdd in the other room through the network.

The main reason I thought about a ps3 is so i could play blue ray discs. Not much of a gammer but that could be fun too. The problem with the ps3 though goes back to the converting of files and finding the right kind that works plus unless I can get the streaming part down it has a very limited hdd space. Not sure I understand how you would turn a mac mini into a DVR though but if you could that would be pretty cool because I don't have a dvr and I really want one of those too. Is it some kind of software that let's get tv and record it on you mac. Cos I have cable right now and I wouldn't mind droping that monthly bill if I could.
QUOTE Thanks
julian awesome

bobtomay, thanks! that system looks pretty cool. but it also looks pretty expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

If I wanted to use the Mac Mini in this fashion, how would I do that? I am assuming that the Mini does not have wireless built in. If I have my iMac in one room connected to the Airport Extreme, and the TV in another room, how would I work with the Mini from the iMac. Would I have to connect the Mini to the AE via Ethernet?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagus87 View Post
the mac mini makes the most sense to me, its got everything the apple tv has, plus a dvd player.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

I believe all the new mac minis are wireless and bluetooth built in.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
For the ultimate - here is the one I've been drooling over.

Now you could probably do something like this yourself with enough knowhow.
Awesome system Bob....had me drooling as well. We are just finishing off a server and network at work for storing video files but in our case they are Police video evidence files from in car cameras. Looks like it would work in much the same way though. We have a HP server with a few terrabytes or removable raid 5 storage and an off site repository for archived data in case we blew up!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

SmokingFetus is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
If I wanted to use the Mac Mini in this fashion, how would I do that? I am assuming that the Mini does not have wireless built in. If I have my iMac in one room connected to the Airport Extreme, and the TV in another room, how would I work with the Mini from the iMac. Would I have to connect the Mini to the AE via Ethernet?

Thanks
Yes, the Minis do in fact have an airport card as well as bluetooth. But I have mine hooked up via ethernet to avoid any bandwidth issues. I had no issues for the short period of time I was using wireless, but I didn't try streaming any HD at that time.

As for connecting the 2 mac's it is very easy. I have local sharing turned on, via sharing pane in the system preferences, within my imac. Then I connect to it with my mini by selecting the the connect to server option under "Go" in my menu bar. Then I can put in the iMac's IP or just using the computers name with a .local at the end. A dialog box will appear asking which volumes you want to mount. I then put those volumes in my startup items so it auto connects after a restart.

That kaleidascape is nothing special. My mini can do everything that does and more (internet, games, IM, ect.). And if I want music/movies in any room I could get another Mini or just take my laptop (great for those extra long dooks). Not to mention the price diference, 2K for Mini and iMac compared to the 10k for the entry level Kaleidescape server.

As for the DVR setup all you need is an eyeTV setup from Elgato Systems. There are two options starting at $150 going up to $200. Only major difference is how the video gets encoded.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian awesome View Post
bobtomay, thanks! that system looks pretty cool. but it also looks pretty expensive.
It ain't cheap, that's why I've just been drooling over it.

The RIAA was suing them, latest news, the RIAA lost.

And like SF is doing, it can be done yourself. Their system is pretty sweet though.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I want a Mini for a HTPC, but Windows Media Center has it all over Apple's software, so when I finally do get a HTPC, it'll probably be Windows-based. Maybe someone will come up with comparable software to Win MCE and it'll run on Mac.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using external monitor and mouse with display closed | imac 20" core duo CPU upgrade? »