New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Use your function keys as usual, on aluminium Apple keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glosswhite

glosswhite can only hope to improve

Hi chaps and chapesses!.

Have you just bought one of those gorgeous new, Aluminium Apple keyboards, but don't like the pre-assigned expose/dashboard etc keys?. Well I am going to tell you how to use the Function keys (F1-F19) *without* having to hold down the [fn] key, first:

1/ Make sure you have downloaded and installed the keyboard update for Mac OS X; Goto "Software Update" to do this. I think I had to reboot after, so you MUST do so, before continuing further!.

2/ Goto "System Preferences", and click "Keyboard and Mouse":

3/ Next, tick the box that you see below:

...and then close "System Preferences". The only dedicated keys I can't get to work after doing this, are the VOL UP and VOL DOWN buttons, but otherwise, Expose is remapped to F9/F10/F11, Dashboard to F12 etc etc, as if you're using the last generation Apple Keyboard. The eject key works as normal, since that is ALWAYS hard wired to EJECT.

I hope you found this useful; if so, please let me know. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I ran into that also. Works great. Only bad thing is the symbols on the new keys will disagree, but if you are used to the old layout, it would work great. Thanks for posting it.
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I ran into that also. Works great. Only bad thing is the symbols on the new keys will disagree, but if you are used to the old layout, it would work great. Thanks for posting it.
You're welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
nokialed

nokialed is on a distinguished road

so if you do that how do you do the volume then if the volume no longer works?
also, what possessed apple to change the keys??
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokialed View Post
so if you do that how do you do the volume then if the volume no longer works?
also, what possessed apple to change the keys??
Use the mouse to change it, and ask Apple. I love the keyboard; there are absolutely NO issues with using one, and I can't see why everyone complains about it. What would you rather; new, more ergonomic (and beautiful) keyboard, or RSI injuries?!.

Whiners unite - it's not exactly hard to use; you just... ermm.... type!.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Why not copy your first post and submit it to faq submissions?

QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

Hi chaps and chapesses!.

Have you just bought one of those gorgeous new, Aluminium Apple keyboards, but don't like the pre-assigned expose/dashboard etc keys?. Well I am going to tell you how to use the Function keys (F1-F19) *without* having to hold down the [fn] key, first:

1/ Make sure you have downloaded and installed the keyboard update for Mac OS X; Goto "Software Update" to do this. I think I had to reboot after, so you MUST do so, before continuing further!.

2/ Goto "System Preferences", and click "Keyboard and Mouse":

3/ Next, tick the box that you see below:

...and then close "System Preferences". The only dedicated keys I can't get to work after doing this, are the VOL UP and VOL DOWN buttons, but otherwise, Expose is remapped to F9/F10/F11, Dashboard to F12 etc etc, as if you're using the last generation Apple Keyboard. The eject key works as normal, since that is ALWAYS hard wired to EJECT.

I hope you found this useful; if so, please let me know. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by milessthomas View Post
Why not copy your first post and submit it to faq submissions?
Submitted it just now, and thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Install Instructions for Mac Pro RAID Card | upgrading to Tiger »