New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Exteranal Hard Drive not recognized through firewire

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dbennett642

dbennett642 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just bought a 320gb western digital external hard drive. I am having a problem though, when i plug it in through usb, it mounts to the desktop just fine. however when i try to connect it through firewire nothing happens, the iMac can't find it. I know it is not a firewire port problem because i can hook up my video camera just fine to it. anyone have any suggestions or tips to make it work. Transfering through USB is just way too slow for me so i need to use it through firewire 400. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Open up the disk utility and see if it shows up in there...
QUOTE Thanks
dbennett642

yes it shows up when connected through usb but not when connect through firewire.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Then maybe something's wrong with the firewire port of your Hard drive. Cause disks that fail to mount at least show up in the disk utility. Have you checked the hard drive on another PC/Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
dbennett642

i just pluged it into my pc laptop through 4-6 pin firewire and that recognized it. the only thing i can think of now is that the 6-6 pin firewire that came in the box is what is not working.
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

This may sound noob but what exactly is firewire.. i've seen it.

Is it exactly the same as a usb? can i plug usb stuff in to it like when im charging my iPod?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Heheh.... how about you wikipedia it to find all about Firewire. basically, USB is actually 480Mbps while Firewire is 400 mbps, yet, firewire in the real world is much faster than USB. There is also a superfast FW800 for high end stuff.

You can get a firewire cable for your iPod though it won't make much of a difference cause the iPod HD isn't thaat fast.
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

is the firewire the same shape as a usb?
I'm a little confused.
How is 400 mps faster than 480 mbps?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Nope. the firewire port looks quite a bit different from USB. It is a totally different architechture.

I technically don't know how the firewire architecture is faster, but it is. USB can't maintain those speeds of 480mbps while Firewire can. However you don't get firewire pen drives and mice and such. You will only find firewire in stuff that needs speed, like Hard drives, camcorders, and stuff like that.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaePod View Post
is the firewire the same shape as a usb?
I'm a little confused.
How is 400 mps faster than 480 mbps?
For one thing USB 2.0 has more overhead than Firewire. For sure Firewire is faster no matter what the specs say. I have done test after test and Firewire always wins and by a healthy margin. Like the other poster said, it's not the same at all as USB. Different plug, Different technology.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaePod View Post
This may sound noob but what exactly is firewire.. i've seen it.

Is it exactly the same as a usb? can i plug usb stuff in to it like when im charging my iPod?
Check this link. The firewire port is on the left.

http://fwdepot.com/thestore/images/xl_db-35u2fw.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
Trey

Trey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro with a purdy Reef cover, MacBook, iBook, iPhone, iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett642 View Post
i just pluged it into my pc laptop through 4-6 pin firewire and that recognized it. the only thing i can think of now is that the 6-6 pin firewire that came in the box is what is not working.
I had the same problem. I finally tried one of our own Firewire cords and it works fine now. I just emailed Western Digital about it (I bought the exact same hard drive as you) so I will let you know what they say.

Trey.
QUOTE Thanks
psleda@mac.com

psleda@mac.com is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem...i have macbook pro 17" 2.4 ghz and imac 24" 2.8 ghz ..my wd 320 gb external hd works fine with mbp when i connect it through firewire....but when i connect wd by firewire to my 1 day old imac ,it doesnt recognize the hd...when i connect wd hd through usb port to my imac everything works fine....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to remove list of Display calibrations? | how do i clean trackball on mighty mouse?? »