Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Exteranal Hard Drive not recognized through firewire (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/79364-exteranal-hard-drive-not-recognized-through-firewire.html)

dbennett642 10-04-2007 05:03 PM

Exteranal Hard Drive not recognized through firewire

Hey, I just bought a 320gb western digital external hard drive. I am having a problem though, when i plug it in through usb, it mounts to the desktop just fine. however when i try to connect it through firewire nothing happens, the iMac can't find it. I know it is not a firewire port problem because i can hook up my video camera just fine to it. anyone have any suggestions or tips to make it work. Transfering through USB is just way too slow for me so i need to use it through firewire 400. Thanks!

goobimama 10-04-2007 05:26 PM

Open up the disk utility and see if it shows up in there...

dbennett642 10-04-2007 05:28 PM

yes it shows up when connected through usb but not when connect through firewire.

goobimama 10-04-2007 05:49 PM

Then maybe something's wrong with the firewire port of your Hard drive. Cause disks that fail to mount at least show up in the disk utility. Have you checked the hard drive on another PC/Mac?

dbennett642 10-04-2007 05:55 PM

i just pluged it into my pc laptop through 4-6 pin firewire and that recognized it. the only thing i can think of now is that the 6-6 pin firewire that came in the box is what is not working.

ChaePod 10-04-2007 07:33 PM

This may sound noob but what exactly is firewire.. i've seen it.

Is it exactly the same as a usb? can i plug usb stuff in to it like when im charging my iPod?

goobimama 10-04-2007 08:11 PM

Heheh.... how about you wikipedia it to find all about Firewire. basically, USB is actually 480Mbps while Firewire is 400 mbps, yet, firewire in the real world is much faster than USB. There is also a superfast FW800 for high end stuff.

You can get a firewire cable for your iPod though it won't make much of a difference cause the iPod HD isn't thaat fast.

ChaePod 10-04-2007 08:17 PM

is the firewire the same shape as a usb?
I'm a little confused.
How is 400 mps faster than 480 mbps?

goobimama 10-05-2007 05:04 AM

Nope. the firewire port looks quite a bit different from USB. It is a totally different architechture.

I technically don't know how the firewire architecture is faster, but it is. USB can't maintain those speeds of 480mbps while Firewire can. However you don't get firewire pen drives and mice and such. You will only find firewire in stuff that needs speed, like Hard drives, camcorders, and stuff like that.

dtravis7 10-05-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaePod (Post 498048)
is the firewire the same shape as a usb?
I'm a little confused.
How is 400 mps faster than 480 mbps?

For one thing USB 2.0 has more overhead than Firewire. For sure Firewire is faster no matter what the specs say. I have done test after test and Firewire always wins and by a healthy margin. Like the other poster said, it's not the same at all as USB. Different plug, Different technology.

hagios1972 10-10-2007 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaePod (Post 498020)
This may sound noob but what exactly is firewire.. i've seen it.

Is it exactly the same as a usb? can i plug usb stuff in to it like when im charging my iPod?

Check this link. The firewire port is on the left.

http://fwdepot.com/thestore/images/xl_db-35u2fw.jpg

Trey 11-05-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbennett642 (Post 497961)
i just pluged it into my pc laptop through 4-6 pin firewire and that recognized it. the only thing i can think of now is that the 6-6 pin firewire that came in the box is what is not working.

I had the same problem. I finally tried one of our own Firewire cords and it works fine now. I just emailed Western Digital about it (I bought the exact same hard drive as you) so I will let you know what they say. :)

psleda@mac.com 11-05-2007 07:32 PM

i have the same problem...i have macbook pro 17" 2.4 ghz and imac 24" 2.8 ghz ..my wd 320 gb external hd works fine with mbp when i connect it through firewire....but when i connect wd by firewire to my 1 day old imac ,it doesnt recognize the hd...when i connect wd hd through usb port to my imac everything works fine....