New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Hard Drive Mac-XP Crossover

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EddieSteel

EddieSteel is an unknown at this point

I got this portable harddrive I use. It's the harddrive from one of my destroyed laptops. It's NTSC formatted. In a bizarre series of disasters, I lost both my laptops and my desktop PC and now just have this Mac. It's running Panther and it can read the drive and I can use everything on it, but I can't actually change, modify, or add to the drive. I'm something of a writer and this is sort of distressing cause at present, I have no means of getting the files from my Mac to it. I mean, there's means, but not day to day convenient means. I often use various computers depending on where i'm at, so it's nice just to have the travel drive. Is there any way around this problem or what? Is it just a NTSC-FAT problem? Also, is there a MAC word processor program that saves in the same format that a PC word program does? Cause i'm having a hrad time getting anything to open one way or the other unless it's a basic RTF file.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieSteel View Post
Also, is there a MAC word processor program that saves in the same format that a PC word program does?
I used an open source word processor software but it cannot open MS Office documents I have created using PCs. So to solve the problem I bought the Microsoft Office for Macinstosh. This makes me open and save files in either Mac or PC.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe the disk in question is formated as ntfs. Which Apple can only read, and not write too. You will need to format the drive as fat32 to write to is from an Apple system as my understanding. Some will hopefully come along and correct me if I am wrong.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
EddieSteel

If I format the drive to FAT, can I still read and write to it with my PC, or is it basically one or the other? Also, that drive is hard split into two partitions. Can one be FAT and the other NTFC?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
...it can read the drive and I can use everything on it, but I can't actually change, modify, or add to the drive. I'm something of a writer and this is sort of distressing cause at present, I have no means of getting the files from my Mac to it. I mean, there's means, but not day to day convenient means. I often use various computers depending on where i'm at, so it's nice just to have the travel drive....

NTFS is the name of your file system. If you want your Mac to be able to write to the disk, it must be formatted as FAT32 (I assume you are using the drive with Windows computers also).
There exist threads on this forum about which software suites people prefer.

Quote:
If I format the drive to FAT, can I still read and write to it with my PC, or is it basically one or the other? Also, that drive is hard split into two partitions. Can one be FAT and the other NTFC?

FAT32 is an older PC file system. Both Mac and PC can read and write to FAT32. You can have different file formats on different partitions, but the only benefit I could see for keeping NTFS around is if you need to store some VERY large files (>4 GB). FAT32 cannot write a file larger than this.

Update: Just saw this thread regarding a beta enabling NTFS writes by Mac(?)
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...177#post498177
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As already stated, the file system is NTFS. NTSC is the analog broadcast signal used by TV stations here in the U.S and elsewhere.

Go to the link in the above post by Neo - grab the beta 2 version (look for post #36). There are several of us using this software and having no issues with either reading nor writing to NTFS volumes. This is the easy way without having to reformat your drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EddieSteel

I installed the beta 2 job and now the computer doesn't recognize the external harddrive at all. I uninstalled it, but it didn't make a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
EddieSteel

Well, I downloaded something called IOUSB Family after punching MAC USB into a search engine and it seems to have done the trick, at least put me back where I was before. I'm just going to toss some things around and turn that drive into a FAT drive and be done with it. Thanks for the help and info on that. Now i'm gonna tackle that word processor problem...
QUOTE Thanks
bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

File Formats:
NTFS- Use if you're only using with Windows O/S (Mac will only READ this format, wont allow you to write to it)

Mac Journaled- If you're only using on Mac

FAT32 - Use if you plan on crossing over

As for Word, Microsoft Word on MAC will open with Microsoft Word on Windows, they're completely compatible.

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« General Hardware Query | Is it possible to setup 2 external HDD in Raid for use with Time machine? »