New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

eMac hardware problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

P-funk

Hello nice mac people....

An eMac we had at school for the last year has been broken since we got it. So I decided to bring it home and try and fix it myself so we can use it again . The problem is that I know nothing about Apple Mac computers (if I was rich enough to buy one then I would...).

So anyway. This G4/700Mhz eMac just freezes. Sometimes nothing happens when you turn it on; sometimes you get the startup 'chime', then nothing. Sometimes you get to the OSX loading screen, then nothing. Sometimes it boots up completely, and then just completely freezes half way into doing something. Also, the light on the bottom of the mouse doesnt always come on on startup.

Oh yeah and a couple of times I've got the '3 beeps' thing on startup. I looked that up on here and someone said 'RAM checksum error' or similar. So I'm tempted to think its a RAM problem. ANy tips on where to get RAM cheap?

Please, *any* help appreciated Its for a good cause (to prevent the eMac essentially being turned into an expensive drum in the music department)

Jon
QUOTE Thanks
P-funk

OK... I'm a complete idiot. Whilst I did switch the RAM sockets and it didnt work.... I didnt check that it was in the first socket properly to begin with. So I just did that and its all good. I love macs, and feel free to delete this topic.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external hard drive??? | mayday G4 gone down :( »