New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Monitor question, I need help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ClearcutZ

I am getting a dual Powermac G5 and have a question. Can I get any monitor (CRT or LCD) and expect it to work with the Powermac. Sorry for the really basic question but this will be my first Mac and I don't want to blow a couple hundred dollars on a monitor I can't use.
QUOTE Thanks
ClearcutZ

can i get any help???
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

The powermac comes with dual display support, with one plug for an ADC display and another for a DVI. Most CRTs are VGA so you'd need a DVI to VGA adapter if you wanted to use one.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
ClearcutZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
The powermac comes with dual display support, with one plug for an ADC display and another for a DVI. Most CRTs are VGA so you'd need a DVI to VGA adapter if you wanted to use one.
thank you. i just wanted to know in case i dont get an apple lcd.
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't get an Apple display, and do want dual displays you'll need an ADC to DVI converter too.

QUOTE Thanks
muso

Sorry, I believe the new displays are only DVI and have separate cables to carry USB/Firewire connections.

QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

you are correct. they did this so you could use the moniters w/ any computer
QUOTE Thanks
llaamaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearcutZ
I am getting a dual Powermac G5 and have a question. Can I get any monitor (CRT or LCD) and expect it to work with the Powermac. Sorry for the really basic question but this will be my first Mac and I don't want to blow a couple hundred dollars on a monitor I can't use.
Yes... Im pretty sure. I am looking at the G5 D2G and was planning on using a CRT for a while. Am pretty sure they come with and adaptor for VGA type monitors. But then, heck, my wife came home with a 20 " Apple Display the work gave her, so I will probably get stuck with her 19" Viewsonic FP. Life is just good some times.

A quick look on the apple.com site will confrim ....
QUOTE Thanks
Kim

The G5 systems come bundled with the DVI to VGA adapter standard so you can hook it up to either a CRT or LCD out of the box. I have a Crt 21" sony pro, because they are much better for graphics and video.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FAT32 External Hard Drive to work on Mac? Help | iSight on PC - NOT OVER 'NET! »