New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is this a good deal?? 500gb Ext. HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I am wanting an external HD for storing music, movies and backups... is this (link below) MyBook 500GB HD a good deal @ $119? Any opinions on the quality of it? Any other recommendations?

Link: http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=338831
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

It's an ok deal, except you can get the Firewire version for $149, WD MyBook Premium Edition. Mine is fine so far, but some people swear against using WD. I got mine at Costco so I can always return it, no questions asked, if anything goes wrong.

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've heard of some issues with Macs and the MyBook, but that was a while ago and they very well could have solved the problem.

I have no compatibility issues with the WD Passport, and I've owned several WD drives without having any problems.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Same as Kash, have heard some issues, but there are a lot of people using the WD MyBook series with their Mac's. So, the negatives I've read do not dissaude me from these drives. And, have to say, I personally like WD drives, especially their enterprise class drives. The price is below newegg's right now, so that's probably as good as it gets.

If you're ready to purchase, you should at least consider getting a FW400 compatible drive. You can check out this thread from when I was looking for an external - just scroll down to the last post - have some actual timed comparison transfer rates posted there. At least you'll be able to make an informed decision as to whether the extra wait times are worth the cash savings for you or not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

I haven't had any problems with the 500GB Mybook that i have. I have the premium with the firewire/usb ports. At the time it was $179 when i bought mine, now it's $149 or $159CAD at costco. It's well worth it whn the time comes that you have to back up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Intelli Mouse Optical | External HDD? »