New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Aluminium Keyboard - Problems.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WannaMacPro

WannaMacPro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo, 7600GT 256mb, 250GB HD, 1GB RAM

Hi all,

After recently purchasing the new Aluminium Keyboard (Wired) for my White 24" iMac I have been getting a few strange problems.

Problem 1:

My Enter/Return & Backspace keys seem to be activating the Eject function? Every now and then when I press these keys, the Eject symbol appears on screen.

Problem 2:

When I try to put the Mac to sleep, it will wake itself back up again. I've tried it and tried it again but still the same problem. I did try to research already and suspect it may be to do with the high powered USB ports on the keyboard itself? My mouse is plugged into one of them.

Now just incase any asks, I am confident that the keyboard is causing the problems as they only started when I first started using the keyboard.

I have installed 2 of the support updates for the keyboard now and they seem to have done nothing.

Any help is really appreciated on this one.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have one on my 20" iMac and love it. Not a problem here. Is there any chance that something spilled into the keyboard at all? If not take it back and demand a new one. That is not normal at all even without the updates. They just affect the Function keys up top.
QUOTE Thanks
WannaMacPro

Not spilt anything on it atall, taken extra care with this one

I will try contact Apple and await further replies on here but if it gets too long I'll return it

On another note, I cant use the Alt key anymore to initiate the Boot Camp disc selector.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That really sounds like a defective keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
gazelleintense

gazelleintense is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)

my keyboard works fine, although some function keys in my favorite game no longer work. otherwise, fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelleintense View Post
my keyboard works fine, although some function keys in my favorite game no longer work. otherwise, fine.
Try holding down the Fn key above Delete then press those function keys.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I have a problem with the usb ports not getting enough power. When I plug in a memory stick or external hard drive I get a low power error. Mice and card readers work fine though. Other than that I love the new keyboard.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
WannaMacPro

From what I have read, it can only supply high power when used with one of the new Aluminium iMac's.
QUOTE Thanks
pballa2099

pballa2099 is an unknown at this point

i know what the problem is... you didnt download the keyboard update off of apple.com so your computer thinks that button is the eject button when its really not, download the keyboard update and you should be fine
QUOTE Thanks
WannaMacPro

I've downloaded 2 updates now, both within the first few days of buying it.
QUOTE Thanks
JackBauerPower

JackBauerPower is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB memory 250 GB HDD ATI Radeon HD2400 XT 128 MB GFX card

I'd say return it for a replacement.. I haven't had any problems with mine whatsoever.

Quote:
I have a problem with the usb ports not getting enough power. When I plug in a memory stick or external hard drive I get a low power error. Mice and card readers work fine though. Other than that I love the new keyboard.
On an aside, I've heard conflicting reports regarding charging iPod Video (5G) or any iPod for that matter, into the aluminum keyboard USB ports. (I'm using one of the new aluminum iMacs as well..) Some say that it won't give the iPod enough juice, some say it is perfect for charging your new iPod. What is the truth of the matter?
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

I have a 5.5G iPod, new aluminum iMac and aluminum keyboard, and the USB ports charge and sync my iPod perfectly, and have for over a month. I also have my wireless mouse receiver plugged into the keyboard and that works perfectly as well. Only complaint I have about the keyboard is that the CAP LOCK button is very weak and takes a direct hit to activate it (I am guilty of using the cap lock and not the shift button when typing).
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

glosswhite can only hope to improve

Ask for swap out, or refund. This is a no-brainer, and you should go and ask the source of the keyboard, to resolve this issue. Forget firmware updates, ask for a NEW ONE!.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I bought that keyboard last Sunday and downloaded through Software Update the keyboard updater just as the sales rep advised me to do right away when I got home. At first, it seemed to work fine. Then it started acting up.

I would get a random key that got stuck and had to unplug the keyboard for the repeating key to stop typing by itself. I would type and get no response at all for like 30 seconds, then it would type one or two of the whole letters I had typed during that time.

So I thought something was wrong with the USB port but everything worked fine: then I suspected the keyboard as the old one I was replacing it with worked well.

So Today I took it back to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one in exchange. Much to my surprise, the new one was just as bad as the other one! Egads!

So I did what I should have done first: I booted into Safe Boot mode, downloaded manually the updater and installed it. It now seems to be working fine. *Crossing fingers*

One peculiar thing though: I checked the receipts folder to make sure of the Keyboard Update version I had and it was 1.2 but dated 7th September. On the Apple website, the 1.2 updater had the posted date as being 11th September. Kinda strange but at least it's working now.

Again... *Crossing fingers* I so want this keyboard to work, I love the touch and feel of it.

So my advice, go to Apple/support/downloads and download the keyboard updater and reinstall it again. It might be best if you unplugged all peripherals before and to boot into Safe Boot mode to install. And let the install go, don't use the Mac at all during that process. Restart as usual.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

MHC, I got mine about a month ago now and let it download the original driver and all was fine. The new software came the other day and it's still fine but the Expose' key on the F3 stopped opening Expose after that new update. I just went into the keyboard settings and set it and now it works like it did before that update went in. It only seemed to affect Expose for some reason and all other keys up top did what they were supposed to do!

I love the feel of it and like it more every day I use it. Keep us posted if yours keeps working. Something probably went wrong with that new software update.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV config options | Acer 22'' Problems with Macbook »