New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is Apple TV good for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bence8810

bence8810 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife

Hi,

I am a new switcher to Apple, and would like to have the following function at my house:

Have my films that I downloaded/purchased sitting on my Samba (Linux) server, and watch it through my TV. Can Apple-tv just pull the file(s) from a networked drive and play it through my TV? If not, I guess I can just upload the films to the Apple TV's HDD and play it back from there? I would rather have the streaming though..

I have a semi-old TV, and will upgrade only next year. Semi old = SCART and RCA inputs only. Can Apple TV hook to my TV via SCART or a simple Stereo audio cable and a single (not component) RCA (yellow one) cable?

Thanks for all answers,

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
UKDave

UKDave is on a distinguished road

The Apple TV only has HDMI and Component outputs, so you you'll need a new (non CRT) TV to be able to use it.

Also, only material in Itunes or your Photo library can be synced to the box, this can take a while but does mean you can watch/listen to anything you have with out a computer switched on, or you can stream upto 5 computers to it, again from iTunes.

The new YouTube facility is quite fun and if you put HD material on it, it'll really show off your new TV!
QUOTE Thanks
bence8810

bence8810 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife

Thanks for your answer,

Is there a way maybe to temporarily, until I have a new TV, connect it through some converter cable to my CRT TV? Its a semi-nice flat Wega TV and would wait to upgrade til next year.

As I am completely new to Macs, would you mind if I ask something dumb? Is there a way to have your iTunes library on a Networked drive elsewhere? My wife and I are both getting Macs, so it would be nice if we had only one iTunes library hosted on our Linux server. Then that could be synced to the Apple TV, and we would be brilliant happy

Thanks

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDave View Post
The Apple TV only has HDMI and Component outputs, so you you'll need a new (non CRT) TV to be able to use it.
Not quite true, I had a JVC 32" CRT TV that had a component input, the green RCA jack could be switched by menu between composite and to serve as component, and the red and blue were also available for the remaining component hookups. AppleTV looked quite nice. Even better when I bought my 1080i HDTV a month later.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bence8810 View Post
Is there a way to have your iTunes library on a Networked drive elsewhere? My wife and I are both getting Macs, so it would be nice if we had only one iTunes library hosted on our Linux server. Then that could be synced to the Apple TV, and we would be brilliant happy
Your linux share would have to be mounted before you load iTunes.

Just change the library location in iTunes preferences to reflect the location of your Linux share.

You can also enable "Sharing" in iTunes preferences and load all your music on one Mac, and when iTunes is open it will be visible to the other Mac running iTunes.

Then you can get an Airport Express and enable AirTunes and broadcast your music to your home theater system.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I activate the functions on the F3 and F4 buttons on the keyboard? | Which security lock is the best? »