New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dell E228WFP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Hey, has anyone had any experience with the Dell E228WFP 22" monitor?

I'm looking to get one for my MacBook, the small screen is finally getting to me

I've read some formal reviews, but anyone have any personal experiences? I won't be using this for any video/photo editing, just for basic use. It seems like it'd be a good choice.

Also, what about the http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7078441, Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. I've heard pretty good things about this monitor too, just as good as the Dell, if not better.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It's kind of one of those situations where you get what you pay for. I have one and it's ok for most uses, but when I play games or especially watch movies, it just stinks.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

The dell or the samsung?

SOrry, I edited the post and added the samsung.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

There is nothing wrong with the Dell, I use one at work, I don't know about the samsung. You may want to consider this monitor from newegg though and save yourself some money. I have 2 24" acer monitors and both work great for everyday use, gaming, and watching movies.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009094

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

Didn't find the Dell on Newegg.

Also can you describe what you like and don't like? Is there a lot of bleeding? I also heard that if you play movies and games (I don't care for the games realy, but the movies part) that it's washed out a little... is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

The monitor I was talking about was in the link below my post. It is an acer 22". I don't really watch movies on the dell monitor at work so I can't say about that. The dell does produce really good blacks though. Give me a minute and I will put a movie in and see how the dell looks. Also the colors on the dell will wash out if viewed from above or from a wide side angle, it looks best if you are looking dead on. The acer seem to do a better job on side angle but it is about the same when viewing from above.

QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

Ah I see. I've been reading about the Samsung one and it looks great. I watched the video review of it by this lady (who wasn't all that good or helpful), but I did get to see the monitor in "video"-mode.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Ok, I just watched several clips from a troy DVD and Shooter DVD. There was not really any ghosting but the colors were not as good as they could be and there were a lot of jaggies especially in action scenes. I would have to say the acer is a much better choice over the dell for watching movies. Like I said I can't really give an opinion on the samsung because I have never used one but it seems to have the exact same specs as the acer. Hope this helps.

QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

Cool, thanks for the extra help babarnette. I think I'll rule out the Dell.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

Looks like I'll be ordering this tomorrow. If you have any opinions, please do post them still. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

That is actually not correct DC 3000:1 = 700:1. The only difference I see between the 2 samsung models is the second one you mentioned has a brighter back light and it has a faster gtg pixel response time. 5ms vs 2ms is not worth the money to me. Anything under 8ms is a good monitor. The is another acer monitor for $5.00 more than the previous one I showed you. It has 800:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response time, and is as bright as the second samsung you posted. This would probably be your best choice as it is less expensive and has better specs. Here is the link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009102

P.S. Both samsung models require that you send in a mail in rebate to get the advertised price.

QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Here is a side by side comparison of the 4 monitors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...page=2&bop=And

QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

I've decided on the Samsung 22" 225BW. It should work without a problem right? My main Q is whether or not the graphics on the MacBook can support the resolutions the LCD has?

All I need is a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and the monitor and I should be ready go to.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Check apples website on macbook technical specs to make sure.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Crazy mouse, help! | MacBook and HP Laserjet 3380 that won't print »