New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Has anyone used MiniDisc on their Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigD

BigD is on a distinguished road

The SONY MZ-RH1 looks like a good purchase especially as my wife is involved in a local community radio. It would come in handy for vox-pop interviews as well as a personal music player! It's basially a mobile sound studio as far as I can see :-)

Has anyone got one? Is it any good?

iBook G4 933Mhz & Amiga fanatic
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I don't know about that exact model but our radio production studio at college used Mini-Discs for that exact reason (vox-pops, interviews, on-location news reports etc).

They weren't used with Macs because the DAWs in the radio room where all Windows machines. Judging from the set up we had though, I don't see any reason why you couldn't hook it up to a Mac: 3.5" minijack cable from the headphone port (or a TOSlink cable if it supports digital/optical out) to the line-in port of the Mac. Boot up your choice of sound recording/editing software, chose the input, hit record, hit play on the mini-disc and boom.

Our setup was much more complicated with multiple input/output sound cards hooked up to Hi-Fi component mini-disc players through an amp, in turn connected to some beefy speakers; all with optical/digital connections, but the process is essentially the same.

Also I wouldn't really use a Mini-Disc for music playback; not that you can't, I'd just figure it's more hassle than it's worth. It found it's place great for recording stuff; loss-less digital format with an "analogue" way of getting the audio from the disc to the computer bypassing concerns about audio formats and compression that come with DAPs and with much higher quality than cassettes. But for music playback? It never really took off because it was far too complicated to get your music on there; it really is like going back to creating mixtapes. My advice it to get the Mini-Disc and something like an iPod shuffle or nano. Much more enjoyable experience, much quicker, and much easier.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
BigD

Cool! I'm informed however that MiniDisc on the Mac was not supported directly until 2006 on the release of the new Hi-MD players including the SONY MZ-RH1.

I've also heard the functionality of the Mac software is limited compared to the PC version. i.e. old SP and LP recorded tracks cannot be uploaded to a Mac only Hi-MD tracks!

This doesn't effect it's suitability for radio work however. It's just annoying from a iTunes jukebox perspective, as I have a catalogue of tunes on old minidiscs, and it would be great if I could upload them to my Mac!

QUOTE Thanks
BigD

@Thread

R U all iPod users or something?

QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

I use to use a minidics player,not is collecting dust in my closet. Sony's jukebox software was horrible. Mine was a N1 so it didn't have any Hi-MD capabilities. I know last time i read about the minidisc world there were talks about usb uploading of mic recorded content. Before usb was only moving atrac content to minidisc. Then sony finally listened and started using mp3's instead of having to convert all your mp3's to atrac. Shortly after i bought my ipod (about 2 years ago) they starting allowing usb uploads from md to pc/mac. Before it was only one way, to md.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
@Thread

R U all iPod users or something?
mostly i would bet. ipod+itunes integration is basically how all of os x runs

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
BigD

Any update on mac software for the Sony RZ-MH1 minidisc? Really fancy it, but want to upload LP4 recordings to my Mac aswell as HD recordings (ala the PC software).

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Any update on mac software for the Sony RZ-MH1 minidisc? Really fancy it, but want to upload LP4 recordings to my Mac aswell as HD recordings (ala the PC software).
Do formats get much more dead than minidisc is at this point?
My friend had one and never used it... You couldn't even transfer the recordings back over usb.
why not use an iPod with a voice recording adapter?
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
My friend had one and never used it... You couldn't even transfer the recordings back over usb.
Midisc systems where made with that intention in mind, you can record but not digitally transfer the music out, it was their way to deal with DRM.
I haven't used my minidisc in a while, the main problem i had was the ATRAC system, it is great (better than MP3 IMHO) but not as compatible. I'm pretty sure there should be some other options around that work with MP3, Sony as far as i know is not too kind with OSX.
In case you don't know this site: http://www.minidisc.org/index.php you may be able to find better answers there.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, more's the pity as it was a great format otherwise:
I had one of the original sharp players and they were miles better than discman players for music on the go...

But buying one today is like buying a HD-DVD player: You're buying into a dead format. Finding content and blank discs will just get harder and harder and your wife will have to capture her recordings back to the computer in real time if she ever wants to do any editing...
QUOTE Thanks
BigD

@Aptmunich

Sony are selling the new Hi-MD minidiscs in enough numbers to continue support. They are selling them with Digital editing and field recording in mind, an area where the minidisc still retains a significant advantage over the iPod.

I recently received an email back from Sony in regards to my grievance over PCs being better supported than the Mac. This was the response I recieved and is a bit diappointing really :-(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear BigD

I am sorry to learn that the software recommended in my previous communication does not meet your requirements.

Although I understand that this is frustrating for you, we have sold many MZ-RH1 units, and have had positive feedback from our customers regarding this product. Sony United Kingdom Limited does attempt to meet, and often exceed, our customers' expectations.

Having said this, it is with regret that on some occasions a product may not suit each individual's specific requirements. While we are unable to assist directly on this occasion, I have logged your case with us as a complaint and as such, this will automatically get fed back to the products designers. Whilst they will not look to contact you directly as a result of this, you can be sure that at least your view on this will be recognised.

Regrettably I do not have any information relating to the possible release of future software updates for this product.

I apologise for any disappointment that this may cause.

Yours sincerely

Nicholas Burbridge
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM LTD

Sony United Kingdom Limited, a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW
Registered company number: 2422874

---------------Original Message----------------
Sent: 26 March 2008 18:06
To: Sony Incoming
Subject: Re: RE: Reference: 213521844

Dear Sony

I already have this transfer software and it states:

"You can import audio data recorded in Linear PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP mode on the Macintosh-compatible Hi-MD Walkman to a Macintosh computer after converting to WAV format audio data.(1)"

So, although transfer is possible it's only if it is recorded in PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP formats, NOT standard SP, LP2 and LP4 formats! This feature is available for the PC and I was wondering why it still hasn't been included in the Mac software nearly a year and a half after release of the MZ-RH1?

Regards,
BigD

QUOTE Thanks
BigD

Is anyone else bothered that although Sony are now supporting the Mac with MiniDisc Transfer Software, they have released a sub-standard set of specifications compared to the PC. How much effort would it take to upgrade the specs of the software to be in line with the PC version?

QUOTE Thanks
BigD

Bought one this month!!!! My wifes very happy with it and used it to record some interviews with some Christian Rock bands playing in the local Cathedral tonight- v cool ;-) A doddle to upload to Mac as WAV files (5 minutes for 700mb of wav sound files) and then edit in Audacity. Cool bit of kit. Sad Sony won't upgrade the software in line with the PC software features but hey still pleased :-) Would recommend!!!

QUOTE Thanks
BigD

4 and 1/2 years on and I've got the MZ-RH1 uploading my LP2 and LP4 minidiscs to my Mac! All is not lost and I've basically future proofed my music collection by giving me the option to copy my old Minidisc onto another MP3 player if I want to.

How did I do it you ask? VM Fusion 5 and an old copy of Windows XP. Sometimes to get features companies only build into the Windows version of their CE software you have to run Windows on your Mac.

The MZ-RH1 Minidisc is still going strong for field recordings and my wife helped collect vox-pops for a Christmas feature using it. The final feature was eventually broadcast on a string of local radios round the UK on Christmas Eve! I was so impressed with her machine that I got one myself for my birthday last year (probably my last chance to buy a MiniDisc player :-(). It is really great build quality and will outlast my mum's iPod Nano for sure.

I get the feeling iPods are more fashion symbols than great products. The Nano doesn't even have AM on the radio to listen to BBC Radio 5live (sport radio) even though my old MZ-G755 Minidisc had both AM & FM back in 2002!

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
4 and 1/2 years on...
YIKES...it's not very often someone posts back in one of their own threads 4+ years later!!!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XP-850 printer WiFi connection problems | Adding RAM »