New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Samsung lcd's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dynasty

Dynasty is on a distinguished road

I'm wanting to get an lcd monitor for my MBP so I can clear off some desk space. I have been looking around for the money the Samsung SyncMaster 216BW 21.6" seems to be the best bet for myself. I was just wondering what others thought about this thing. I have read reviews on the monitor and it seems to do pretty good. Even though its 5ms does that really mean that much now a days? Also how well does using an external monitor on a MBP work? Like do you have to leave your laptop monitor up the whole time when your using the external or can you close your laptop? I'm wanting to put the laptop under my desk when I'm using the external. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

The laptop has to be on of course. You can however, close the lid. But I wouldn't recommend putting it under the desk cause the lappy needs to breathe.

Anyway, why would you want to not use the laptop display as well? It will be great for keeping palettes, ichat windows, and such.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Well, I have two 21" monitors, a Samsung Syncmaster 213T and a ViewSonic VP2130b. The Viewsonic is on my Mac, the Syncmaster is on my PC.

There is NO comparison. The Viewsonic produces a brigher, crisper and better image, hands down. I would consider a Viewsonic product in their VP line before buying a Samsung.

By the way, I should note that this is "dated" information. The Syncmaster is 2.5 years old and the Viewsonic is over 1 year old, so things may changed relatively speaking over the last period of time. I just thought that the anecdotal information might be of some value.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Dynasty

Dynasty is on a distinguished road

Here is something that I just do not understand. I bought the samsung 216bw the other day and it shipped out today; I got it for $229. Today when I checked tigerdirect's site it is being sold for $259. Why did they go up on the price? I'm just glad that I got it when I did.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Why not save a liitle $ and get the 206BW? It has the same resolution and the 216BW so the pixels are a little smaller so it looks a little cleaner.
-Peace

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Well, TigerDirect is not perfect. They are just *usually* the best game in town. In this case, obviously not!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about mini dvi to dvi | LCD TV Question... »