New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Eye-TV anyone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bombat67

bombat67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

I know this is an Apple TV forum, but I'm curious if anyone out there is using Eye-TV.

I'm planning on buying a 24" iMac (aluminum) next month and thought about using it to record tv programs - something that Apple TV doesn't do (yet).

It looks like the Eye-TV 250 plus will work. But I want to know some specifics from folks who are using it. For instance, I will have to split my cable signal three ways in order to get a connection to the computer. (one signal goes to cable box, the other to the modem). And I want to know if that will greatly diminish my internet connect or reception on the regular cable.

Thanks for any and all comments.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
QUOTE Thanks
VolcomLegend

VolcomLegend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White

Hello,

I can't comment on the splitting of the cable but I do have an EyeTV Mini (or something like that) and it is fantastic. The software is excellent and is constantly being updated. If you plan on recording a lot of shows / films, I'd recommend getting a firewire external hard drive too!

VL

The packaging said 'Windows Vista or better', so I got OS X

SpecialEdition - My iWebSite
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Splitting one of the two cables should not affect your reception.

Although, the only stations you will have access to are the ones your TV has access to without the use of the 'cable box'.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Splitting one of the two cables should not affect your reception.

Although, the only stations you will have access to are the ones your TV has access to without the use of the 'cable box'.

Anyway around that?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Actually, making a lot of splits DOES reduce reeption. In fact, sometimes a cable modem will fail to connect. But you'd need a lot of splits to continue to reduce the voltage to each line. Three splits is nothing to worry about.
QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

Thanks for the responses.

I've got digital cable and before I got the box I was able to plug it right into my TV and get channels. So I think I should be able to get the same channels bypassing the box. Hopefully.

QUOTE Thanks
virtuoso06

virtuoso06 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo

I used a cable splitter to get two lines (one for my cable modem and one for my eyetv) and it screwed with my internet connection (not so much the tv reception). I ended up disconnecting the splitter and connecting the eyetv somewhere else in the house.

QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

JohnJohn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

I don't use the EyeTV 250 yet, but am searching on info and came across this thread.

I was experiencing some modem outages with the set up below, until I called out the cable company.

One line into my office> split two ways> (1)cable modem (2)cable box>TIVO> split(1) to SlingBox (2) to ATI car in PC

This set up allowed me to watch TIVO through SlingBox, and the TIVO controled the cable box channels. I am in the process of replacing the PC with a MacMini, hence the EyeTV "searching"

To make a long story longer I am splitting the cable twice once at the wall them once after the TIVO. My cable modem was acting up, so I call the cable company out. Cable guy said I was using "junk splitters, Radio Shack specials". He said that low quality splitters are about 75% of his calls these days. I asked him which ones I should use. He said he would give me a stash. After giving me more than I needed he asked me to hand them out to my neighbors if that had problems. If I ran out he gave me his cell number, he said he would drop more off if I needed them.

After that he told me a story about him and another installer spending three days traveling around a neighborhood knocking on doors trying to find a customer who had installed a low end splitter. For some reason it was causing an outage. Once replaced everyone on the block had internet again.

So if you see your cable guy at your neighbors house ask him for some splitters they should be more than happy to hand them out.
QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

Thanks Johnjohn!

I will make sure to invest in a quality splitter when the time comes.

QUOTE Thanks
Agentman42

Agentman42 is on a distinguished road

It depends. What is your signal strength coming into the house is now? One way to try without metering is to split your signal twice. Once split for your cable modem and to another splitter. The other splitter will feed your mac and your set-top box. While this "may" work, you need to find out what your signal strength is before deciding what to split. The cable comanies "should" give you enough of a quality signal to split evenly three times, but sometimes... The signal may be good for an even two way split for your cable modem since it "requires" good signal. Otherwise, you may need to invest a few dollars into an amplifier. Get your cable tech to come out and get you a reading. Ask him to show you the reading. Ask him what the reading "should" be. Ask him the questions about the splits. He "should" know.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

Picked up an EyeTV Hypbrid and plugged it into my Mini. Works like a dream! I can highly recommend now. Screen saver keeps covering the screen when the TV is not in full screen mode, but I guess that's best.

The EyeTV software is well built. My inbound coax is always on Channel 3 since it comes from a TIVO. I control the channel surfing via the TIVO remote.

Since Channel 3 is the only channel that is detected, its been my experience that TV software can not display the show info(Title, guests, show info). However the EyeTV somehow picks up that info, even thought the TIVO is only showing it through Channel 3. Not sure how it does it, but it does.
QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

Thanks Agentman and Johnjohn --

I think my cable signal strength is pretty good, although I haven't had it checked.

It sounds like Johnjohn, you're using Eye TV through a dedicated Mac Mini for your television?

I'll be using the Eye-TV with my main computer and may have to record programs in the background while i'm doing something else. I wonder if that will muck things up a bit.

QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombat67 View Post

I think my cable signal strength is pretty good, although I haven't had it checked.

It sounds like Johnjohn, you're using Eye TV through a dedicated Mac Mini for your television?

I'll be using the Eye-TV with my main computer and may have to record programs in the background while i'm doing something else. I wonder if that will muck things up a bit.
Here is the set-upI was going for: 1.8ghz w/ 2gb of RAM: will it run Leopard?

It didn't work too well with my rear projection HD TV. I am saving up for a 42"+ LCD to hook it to. Until then I am using it with a KVM swith in my office.

It should record TV fine while doing other things. I use the TIVO for recording shows so I can't speak to the EyeTVs recording set-up
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombat67 View Post

ifyou are usin a 24" iMac you should be ok. i have that set up witha white 24" with 1.5Gs of RAM. its fine even with lots of apps (safari, itunes, ical, irc, screenRecycler) goin at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

Well... I don't have a iMac yet, but I spent some serious time playing with one at the local Apple Store and I'm really impressed. One thing I was curious about was the capability to work on the 24" screen and perhaps have a a digital TV window over in the corner with ESPN or News or whatever on it. The guys at the Apple Store didn't seem to be able to answer my question about digital cable so maybe someone else can?

Here's the scenario. Next year (January 2009 IIRC) the FCC will eliminate ALL analog TV broadcasts in the USA. Every TV in America will either need to have been bought with a true digital tuner or you'll have to use your old TV with a digital set-top box. Or, you can subscribe to DTV which means you have their set-top box.

Over on the MS side of the fence, several OEMs have been licensed to build and sell (exclusively) MS Vista Digital which means you can't build a digital tuner PC at home. I think HP, Alienware, Gateway, maybe Dell and a couple of other OEMs are the only ones allowed to build and sell HD-capable PCs that will run the special version of Vista that has a built-in guide and all the tools you'd want in a digital/HD environment. Apparently, comcast and several other major cable vendors are now "partners" with MS on this and I can only hope that the door is open for Apple.

Since most people are interested not only in digital signals, but also HD signals, those signals can be broadcast OTA, via DTV, and on HD Digital cable. If I were to buy an iMac right now, I'd like to know that with some variant of the eYE-TV or a similar device, I could watch, record, and even edit out commercials from a HD source cable with a hundred HD channels, not just OTA which means 3-6 HD channels depending where you live. Both cable and DTV have committed to offering roughly 100 channels in 2008 if not sooner.

My first thought was that Apple is always on the bleeding edge of technology, so they... of all people, should have the HD capability either built-in or available as an aftermarket device. I was shocked when the Apple salesman told me that the iMac 24" monitor is not HD capable??? Is this true or are the two guys I talked to dolts?

This isn't a deal-breaker for me and an iMac, but I'm more than casually interested. I can always plunk a digital TV on my desk, but part of the joy of the iMac is to eliminate clutter!!!

Doc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sony voice recorder - Help! | Hard drive makeup »