New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

I've got a Pearl that I like but sync'ing with my iMac is driving me crazy. The RIM software blows and I don't think I've ever hated a piece of software more than Missing Sync. I bought the Pearl pre-switch and if I knew what I know now I never would have bought it.

So, the Pearl's got to go. What do I replace it with? What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Apple crowd?
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

For the soul purposes of syncing with your Mac, the best phone would be the iphone. I;m not a big fan of it however since it is expensive and lacks certain features. But if you are really concerned with syncing with the mac, the iPhone is the obvious choice.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've always liked Palm...

QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Palm 700p is what I use without any problems syncing through Missing Sync.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Sony Ericssons sync beautifully with the Mac - My 700i syncs like a charm (I actually have it Sync with Entourage, but iCal and Address Book also get sycned.

AFAIK, the P900i does this too, so does the K750i and K800i and the W800 series.

Unfortunately the P990 and the M800 don't! Hopefully the P1 will.

Motorola have good sync abilties too.

I understood the Blackberry was fine with the Mac? I have just ordered one, but might cancel if this doesn't work!

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Stick with Palm if you don't like Missing Sync. I don't have problems with Missing Sync and I love my Samsung Blackjack.
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

Sync'ing the blackberry is beyond horrid with the Mac. Random errors, duplicate records, duplicate data within records, total failure to sync components. I cross my fingers every time I click the sync button - I am absolutely sick and tired of it. Before I bought my iMac I would sync with my home WinXP desktop and my work WinXP laptop. It worked perfectly, flawlessly, effortlessly every time. I still sync with my laptop and it still works perfectly but I've given up on my mac. My Pearl has to go. :-(

I hate to denigrate all Missing Sync conduits, maybe it's only the Pearl version that is crap?
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeDave View Post
I've got a Pearl that I like but sync'ing with my iMac is driving me crazy. The RIM software blows and I don't think I've ever hated a piece of software more than Missing Sync. I bought the Pearl pre-switch and if I knew what I know now I never would have bought it.

So, the Pearl's got to go. What do I replace it with? What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Apple crowd?
I felt the same way. I broke down and bought the markspace blackberry sync. My life true is now complete.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Uh oh... Maybe I should have checked into this before I ordered my Pearl. It's on its way to me right now. Is is really that bad? And is there any software that comes from Blackberry, or is it just total garbage?

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

You can download a Mac version of the desktop software but it's very buggy - pretty much unusable. I turfed it and went with Missing Sync - only slightly better but still garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Uh oh... Maybe I should have checked into this before I ordered my Pearl. It's on its way to me right now. Is is really that bad? And is there any software that comes from Blackberry, or is it just total garbage?
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

I don't quite understand boneheadz, markspace makes Missing Sync - the piece of software I think is horrendous. Maybe you quoted the wrong comment. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadz View Post
I felt the same way. I broke down and bought the markspace blackberry sync. My life true is now complete.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I had the xv 6700 (or ppc 6700 if you're on sprint) and I never had any problems syncing it with my mac. Though the 6800 is due out real soon, it'll be much better. The missing sync has support for many phones.

QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

i haveing been using pocketmac sync with my blackberry (8700) and i have had no problems with it at all. it took me a time or two to get my settings the way i wanted but now i just plug it in and hit sync.
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

I never tried PocketMac Sync. Anyone else have good results with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity1082 View Post
i haveing been using pocketmac sync with my blackberry (8700) and i have had no problems with it at all. it took me a time or two to get my settings the way i wanted but now i just plug it in and hit sync.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Another Palm 700p/Missing Sync user here with no problems.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compatible USB Ethernet Adapter | Headphones only for Windows?? »