Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Mac? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/74966-whats-best-pda-smartphone-mac.html)

ItsMeDave 08-27-2007 03:21 PM

What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Mac?

I've got a Pearl that I like but sync'ing with my iMac is driving me crazy. The RIM software blows and I don't think I've ever hated a piece of software more than Missing Sync. I bought the Pearl pre-switch and if I knew what I know now I never would have bought it.

So, the Pearl's got to go. What do I replace it with? What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Apple crowd?

Shannonb 08-27-2007 03:30 PM

For the soul purposes of syncing with your Mac, the best phone would be the iphone. I;m not a big fan of it however since it is expensive and lacks certain features. But if you are really concerned with syncing with the mac, the iPhone is the obvious choice.

baggss 08-27-2007 04:14 PM

I've always liked Palm...

RiDE 08-27-2007 04:16 PM

Palm 700p is what I use without any problems syncing through Missing Sync.

Zoolook 08-27-2007 04:22 PM

Sony Ericssons sync beautifully with the Mac - My 700i syncs like a charm (I actually have it Sync with Entourage, but iCal and Address Book also get sycned.

AFAIK, the P900i does this too, so does the K750i and K800i and the W800 series.

Unfortunately the P990 and the M800 don't! Hopefully the P1 will.

Motorola have good sync abilties too.

I understood the Blackberry was fine with the Mac? I have just ordered one, but might cancel if this doesn't work!

mynameis 08-27-2007 05:03 PM

Stick with Palm if you don't like Missing Sync. I don't have problems with Missing Sync and I love my Samsung Blackjack.

ItsMeDave 08-27-2007 06:31 PM

Sync'ing the blackberry is beyond horrid with the Mac. Random errors, duplicate records, duplicate data within records, total failure to sync components. I cross my fingers every time I click the sync button - I am absolutely sick and tired of it. Before I bought my iMac I would sync with my home WinXP desktop and my work WinXP laptop. It worked perfectly, flawlessly, effortlessly every time. I still sync with my laptop and it still works perfectly but I've given up on my mac. My Pearl has to go. :-(

I hate to denigrate all Missing Sync conduits, maybe it's only the Pearl version that is crap?

boneheadz 08-27-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsMeDave (Post 471903)
I've got a Pearl that I like but sync'ing with my iMac is driving me crazy. The RIM software blows and I don't think I've ever hated a piece of software more than Missing Sync. I bought the Pearl pre-switch and if I knew what I know now I never would have bought it.

So, the Pearl's got to go. What do I replace it with? What's the best PDA and/or smartphone for the Apple crowd?

I felt the same way. I broke down and bought the markspace blackberry sync. My life true is now complete.

Jeff 08-27-2007 11:50 PM

Uh oh... Maybe I should have checked into this before I ordered my Pearl. It's on its way to me right now. Is is really that bad? And is there any software that comes from Blackberry, or is it just total garbage?

ItsMeDave 08-28-2007 12:42 AM

You can download a Mac version of the desktop software but it's very buggy - pretty much unusable. I turfed it and went with Missing Sync - only slightly better but still garbage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 472138)
Uh oh... Maybe I should have checked into this before I ordered my Pearl. It's on its way to me right now. Is is really that bad? And is there any software that comes from Blackberry, or is it just total garbage?

ItsMeDave 08-28-2007 12:44 AM

I don't quite understand boneheadz, markspace makes Missing Sync - the piece of software I think is horrendous. Maybe you quoted the wrong comment. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneheadz (Post 472128)
I felt the same way. I broke down and bought the markspace blackberry sync. My life true is now complete.

Ghostshadow 08-28-2007 01:14 AM

I had the xv 6700 (or ppc 6700 if you're on sprint) and I never had any problems syncing it with my mac. Though the 6800 is due out real soon, it'll be much better. The missing sync has support for many phones.

sanity1082 08-28-2007 10:52 AM

i haveing been using pocketmac sync with my blackberry (8700) and i have had no problems with it at all. it took me a time or two to get my settings the way i wanted but now i just plug it in and hit sync.

ItsMeDave 08-28-2007 11:12 AM

I never tried PocketMac Sync. Anyone else have good results with this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity1082 (Post 472370)
i haveing been using pocketmac sync with my blackberry (8700) and i have had no problems with it at all. it took me a time or two to get my settings the way i wanted but now i just plug it in and hit sync.

Dillinger-63 08-29-2007 10:23 AM

Another Palm 700p/Missing Sync user here with no problems.