New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can't see windows shared printers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glisten

glisten is on a distinguished road

Just bought a macbook pro, 15in. I have a wireless and wired network with 4 PCs. Two of the PC's have networked printers. All PCs successfully print to both printers. The printer I want to use is a canon MP130. I have successfully attached this printer to the mac via USB and printed without problem.

Macbook is connected wirelessly. It can find the shared folders on the PCs but the printers do not show up when I look for them in the printer section.

In the printer setup box I select IP printer, Protocol is IPP. I click More Printers. Then select Windows Printing and Network Neighborhood. I then select my workgroup (in this case sfamily). All four PCS show up. When I select the PC for the printer I want to use, I get a blank. No printers available.

The Mac can attach to shared folders on all four PCs using the finder.

Several threads have talked about drivers that print only via USB, not network. Each of these threads seem able to connect to the printer, just not print.

My problem is different, I am not even able to connect to the printer.

Thanks in advance for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
glisten

I found the answer. Weird though it is. The XP connected printer had a name with space. When I change the name to a single word, then it showed up on the add printers page just like many threads have pointed out. Perhaps the name is not passed correctly if there are spaces.

glisten.
QUOTE Thanks
glisten

OK, now I can see the printer but even after installing two flavors (one european the other US) of the .dmg from canon, I still can't print.

In the printer browser I select windows printing and network neighborhood. I select the workgroup, choose. Then I select the printer. In this case, Canon mp130 Series printer. At this point the printer model pull down becomes active. I pull the menu down, but no MP130 is on the list despite installing and reinstalling the .dmg's from canon.

I have read in the threads that many of the print drivers are not net capable. Is that my problem? Neither gutenprint or Apple list my mp130 on their lists as supported.

Thanks,
Jim
QUOTE Thanks
glisten

PS. I have also tried other... and navigated to /Library/Preferences/Canon/BJPrinter/Deviceinfo/MP130.plist. It shows the correct listing in the Printer Model box, but when I click add, the file shows as "Local System V Printer. I try to print but get an error message "Error while printing."

Thanks,
Jim
QUOTE Thanks
glisten

Hello,

I think there have been many who have looked at this post, but no one has left a reply. Is there a problem? I have combed the posts, and most relate to drivers that are not net capable, but this one should be.

If I have been offensive in any way, it was not intentional. Please let me know if I have done something wrong.

Thanks,
Jim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac and Monitors | Monitor arms for Imac??? »