New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

upgrading to Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dolphin01

dolphin01 is on a distinguished road

I have an eMac 10.2.4 and I would like to upgrade to Tiger. I see some disks that are 10.4 and say they are for eMacs. I looked at the 10.4.8 and say they are for intel Macs. And you need firewire.
Which ones will work for my old eMac?? I looked in my system profiler and it says, no firewire devices detected.
I don't know which upgrades to get. HELP...
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

Judging by that you don't need any firmware updates. Just install 10.4 and it should work just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

Do you think 10.4.4 is enough? I'm having some little problems with certain websites with my 10.2.4 (old flash, causing some crashes) and would like to upgrade as much as possible to get better performance. I was going to get the 10.4.8 but I see it's in DVD form and "not" made for emacs.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If you're looking at a full retail install Tiger disk, it has nothing to do with your Mac model unless you don't meet the system requirements (which you do).

I think that what you are checking out (on eBay?) is Tiger restore disks that came with other Mac models: those will never do on your eMac because these are model-specific installation disks.
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
If you're looking at a full retail install Tiger disk, it has nothing to do with your Mac model unless you don't meet the system requirements (which you do).

I think that what you are checking out (on eBay?) is Tiger restore disks that came with other Mac models: those will never do on your eMac because these are model-specific installation disks.
Yes, I'm looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh-...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think I'm looking at the restore ones. They have quite a few of those listed. But I'm looking at new ones - never registered or opened.
I'm just confused by the ones listed as 10.4.4 and 10.4.8. The .8 ones say they are for intel Macs and the .4 ones say they are for the eMacs.
I just don't want to get the wrong one
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

Or there is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TIGER-Mac-OS-X-V...QQcmdZViewItem
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

That is a restore disk if the seller says it's for an eMac. And it won't work if you don't have the exact same eMac model that disk was designed for. When the install media's label is grey, it's a restore disk.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

This is what a full install Tiger DVD looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger_full_install.jpg (22.4 KB, 166 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

oh wow - good thing I posted here before buying! Would you suggest to not buy off ebay and just go to apple?? What color should the install disk be?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

One thing's for sure, you can't go wrong buying directly from Apple!

Your eMac can read DVDs just fine? Then there is no problem buying the ordinary DVD install disk. If you had an older Mac that can only read CDs, then you would have to ask for the Tiger full install CD version.

The image I posted above is a scan of my full install Tiger DVD media: it isn't a grayscale image, the disk is really black, white and silverish.
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

Ah, gotcha. My system profiler says CD-ROM. How can I check to see if it reads DVD's? I'm thinking it can't but I just don't know.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If it can read DVDs, it will be listed in your Hardware as either a ComboDrive or a SuperDrive. The difference is that the SuperDrive allows to read AND write to a DVD, while a ComboDrive only reads them (which would be fine for the install media, btw).

Edited to add:

Will you be ordering online at the Apple Store or going to an Apple Store or a Mac store near you? I'm asking because if you order online it might be a longer process. I don't think you can ask directly for the CD version. So you'll have to order the DVD version: once you receive it, you have to fill out this pdf form, return the DVD and send in a check for $9.95US then they'll return the CD version. It would be less of a hassle, I think, if you went to a store and asked directly for the CD version, perhaps?
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

I have an ibook - 10.4.8 Looked at my new software available and it has 10.4.10 any good for the ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Skyrider007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

it doesn't hurt to have the latest firmware version.
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

Can't find my last post on this subject. I bought on ebay Tiger 10.4 CD install and I even emailed the guy to make sure it wasn't the restores. On his ebay picture - he's got the black and white with the big X. NOT the grey and whites. So, it comes in the mail and guess what..... YUP - restores!! I couldn't believe it. I called them - it's a company and told them that's not what I ordered. They had a few negative responses from other people who also got restores and did not order those. That's why I emailed the person to make sure. Why are people so stupid!!!!
So I get in a big fight with the salesperson or whoever it was at this place and told them that I'm sending the RESTORES back and I'm not paying for them.
He finally agreed to go that route but I was on the phone forever trying to tell him what I ordered and what I got. He was NOT understanding. I put it on a credit card at least. He said they were on the up and up and I told him he wasn't. Why did he have the black and white disk as the picture for the selling point and then send restores! The black and white one that I got doesn't say tiger10.4 at all. It says, "XCode 2".
NEVER AGAIN!! I will never do that again.
I still want to upgrade this emac. If I get it from Apple (which is the only way I'd do it now), I'd have to get the CD version. My emac doesn't have a DVD drive. Is there a CD version or I understood there was a 10.00 fee for something. Can someone tell me what that is and how I would do this now??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Use your function keys as usual, on aluminium Apple keyboard | 23" Apple HD Cinema Display...HELP! »