New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Keyboard with integrated usb ports?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

Are there any keyboards out there with integrated USB ports besides Apple's? I ordered the macally icekey and received it today. I was very excited about it, then very disappointed when I set it up and found out that the USB ports don't work or are 1.1. I'm sending it back. I don't want to pay for a keyboard with USB ports only to have to buy a USB hub. Any recommendations would be great!! I like moshi's celesta, but it's too expensive. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

The USB ports on Apple's keyboards are 1.1 also. They aren't powered, and you can't use them with anything that needs a 2.0 port.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

They are?? Then why wouldn't the macally ones work?? When I hooked up my iPod that the I got an error message that said the keyboard couldn't give it enough power. And when I plugged in my mouse receivor it didn't work either. but no error message. What would that mean?? Grrr.... I get frustrated when I have to send things back.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
They are?? Then why wouldn't the macally ones work?? When I hooked up my iPod that the I got an error message that said the keyboard couldn't give it enough power. And when I plugged in my mouse receivor it didn't work either. but no error message. What would that mean?? Grrr.... I get frustrated when I have to send things back.
ALL keyboard USB Ports I have tried either on OSX or Windows have that issue. Remember what the other poster said, Power. Your iPod needs Power and no Keyboard USB port (Apples included) will give it power. I do have 2 flash drives that are such low power they work on both my Apple and MacAlly USB ports.

I have that Macally keyboard and like it.
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

My iPod charges and syncs without any problems while plugged into my new apple keyboard (the newly released ones).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
My iPod charges and syncs without any problems while plugged into my new apple keyboard (the newly released ones).
None of my iPods, (20GB, Mini and Nano) do here with the standard White Apple keyboard that was in use until that new thin one. If you have the thin one, why do you want a MacAlly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (35.5 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

I wanted the macally because I don't like the macbook style keyboard. I want more input when I type. Just typing these posts has been very annoying. And it is very flat.

That is the error message I got when I tried to plug my iPod into the macally. What would the USB ports be used for then? Things that have their own power source, like a printer, external HDD, etc? I always assumed keyboard USB ports were for mice, etc. The mouse receiver didn't even work on the macally, but I didn't receive an error message.
QUOTE Thanks
elephantattack

elephantattack is on a distinguished road

yeah get a macally keyboard, it works great, I use it every day... Mine cost something like 20 bucks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Here is why your new Apple keyboard works with your iPod. I am shocked someone else had not noticed this leave alone me.

"Two USB 2.0 ports provide high-speed connectivity for your iPod, Mighty Mouse, digital camera, and other USB-based electronic devices. Yes, we did think of everything."

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

Too bad you and the keyboard do not get along. Hope other people start using USB 2.0 ports on their keyboards.
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

I have never had a keyboard with USB ports, so when I got this new one I assumed that they were all like this! Hmm... maybe I'm liking this one a little better. I'll see what else is out there as well.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
I have never had a keyboard with USB ports, so when I got this new one I assumed that they were all like this! Hmm... maybe I'm liking this one a little better. I'll see what else is out there as well.
A word about that new Apple Keyboard. A LOT of Macbook users at first did not like their keyboards but after a few weeks changed after they got used to them and now love they way they type and feel. Give it a try for a while. It might grow on you. I am a VERY picky person with my keyboards. I can fly on my Macally and my iBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

Thank you for the words of encouragement However, I've been using a macbook since June (my district-issued computer) and I don't really like the keyboard. But I will keep trying to use this keyboard to save money and still have the USB ports. It might actually be easier in the long run since the keyboards will be consistent at home and at work!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
The USB ports on Apple's keyboards are 1.1 also. They aren't powered, and you can't use them with anything that needs a 2.0 port.
The new (Aug 7) keyboards are 2.0 actually.
QUOTE Thanks
Boopoompa

Boopoompa is on a distinguished road

I'm relieved. I just purchased the new Keyboard with the impression that the USB ports were 2.0. Then I read this and started to get scared. Now I am happy again.
QUOTE Thanks
PhilS1121

PhilS1121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM

Is there something special about a external hard drive that connects via USB? I have a 120 gig Western Digital HD and it will not work on the USB ports on the Apple keyboard. I have tried it on two keyboards with no luck. The HD works fine on the rear USB ports.

EDIT: From reading the discussions on the Apple disucssion forum, it appears that the USB ports on the keyboard are not, in fact, able to power ipods, iphones, etc. for quite a few people. Sounds like they "thought" of everything, but that the execution may be a bit faulty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor problem | connecting to printer on a windows network »