New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How does Apple do cooling, SO well?! :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glosswhite

glosswhite can only hope to improve

Hello, good evening, and welcome to my thread!.
-----------------------------------------------

Greetings people; I wanted to know something, and it could be a twist of rhetoric, but:

How do Apple manage to cram SO SO many exothermic devices inside their computers *AND* keep them well ventilated *AND* keep them SO SO quiet *AND* prevent them overheating (and keep them from looking the size of the Empire State Building)... when all those "think backward" guys over at the PC design labs/<insert inane name of overclocking brand hardware here> are pumping water/liquid refrigerant through oversized copper cooling heads, coupled with noisy and clunky, peripheral heat exchangers?!

I'm both astounded and impressed at the same time at how Apple manage it, but bemused by the very idea of pumping LIQUID through an electronic device, SO close to the motherboard.

What with Core 2 Duo/Extreme etc and 45nM dies emerging, it seems rather redundant and also excessive, to need/want to overclock anything, these days, so WHY do they (and why do they go to such lengths, but not only that - WHY do they show off all their mods, as if it were a teenager's car)

Colour me cynical, but I put it down to lack of taste, combined with a subtle blend of "cracking a nut with a sledgehammer". Has technology stood still in the land of all things DIY-PC, or am I imagining this?.

I tried to get my head around it, but it still astounds me - maybe someone can explain the logic of neon lights and pond pumps, in a COMPUTER.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by glosswhite View Post
Colour me cynical
OK.

It's actually quite simple. They put neon lights in because to make up for the software they have to make the hardware look good. The software primarily meaning Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
OK.

It's actually quite simple. They put neon lights in because to make up for the software they have to make the hardware look good. The software primarily meaning Windows.
Granted on that, but there must be some phallic symbolism/inadequacy, buried not TOO deep within this mess of pipes and garish UV paintwork.

So, basically, you are saying that it is the computing equivalent of getting a 1983 Ford with a 1.0 Litre engine, scraping all the rust from its wheel arches, and plastering it with shiny fibreglass skirts, and underglows?.

Thought as much LOL!! (excuse me 'LOL'-ing; having a break from sensible phrases, as I am tired)

If Apple were rubbish, then it would make NOT wanting to be a fanboy, much easier.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
I'm both astounded and impressed at the same time at how Apple manage it, but bemused by the very idea of pumping LIQUID through an electronic device, SO close to the motherboard..
Apple has used liquid and a small 5" x 5" radiator to to cool the G5 PowerMac. I have seen the cooling unit, and the repair person told me it holds about a cup of liquid. There are also eight or nine fans cooling the unit.

I don't know how Apple is cooling the other units. I will know what is in the Mac Pro, when I get it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Apple has used liquid and a small 5" x 5" radiator to to cool the G5 PowerMac. I have seen the cooling unit, and the repair person told me it holds about a cup of liquid. There are also eight or nine fans cooling the unit.

I don't know how Apple is cooling the other units. I will know what is in the Mac Pro, when I get it.
The G5s needed SO MUCH cooling! That's part of the reason they switched to Intel! It was getting to be humorous!
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

Yeah, the switch to Intel was mostly about efficiency (though pure speed was probably also important). There never was (and never will be, now) a G5 laptop because the cooling apparatus would have been bigger than the case it had to fit in!

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

I had a simple, but possibly revolutionary idea last night, that could possibly cool the latest cores, to previously un-thought of temperatures. It doesn't involve heatsinks or cooling devices, either .

The *principle* is simple, but I don't know if it would work. Hmmm. I am no processor designer, but logic dictates that my theory should also work in practice... "should" .

I am unsure about revealing my idea - could bag me some - any ideas?.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
I had a simple, but possibly revolutionary idea last night, that could possibly cool the latest cores, to previously un-thought of temperatures. It doesn't involve heatsinks or cooling devices, either .

The *principle* is simple, but I don't know if it would work. Hmmm. I am no processor designer, but logic dictates that my theory should also work in practice... "should" .

No problem - would love to contribute lots of money. Hold your breath for just a few minutes while I mail it to you.............
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

MAcbooks and MBP's are kept cool by using your lap as a heatsink... ok that was a joke.

Apple TV is kept "cool" by using the entire lid as a heatsink, and that is NOT a joke.

Generally, you'll find Apple's machines clocked just a teeny weeny bit slower that the leading/bleeding edge Dell's for example, which helps keep the temps down.

However most of it is down to design. When you buy a Mac, you're paying for Apple Design.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
sLux

sLux will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD

Microsoft could learn from this :/

http://www.last.fm/user/Pjawsk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Wow... that's just amazing. You pwn
QUOTE Thanks
tstein888

tstein888 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I have a imac G5 (not intel version)... This is my biggest problem, the fan noise. The fan is what seems to be constantly running at the highest, or near highest speed. I can't seem to fix it..
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwichman View Post
Yeah, the switch to Intel was mostly about efficiency (though pure speed was probably also important). There never was (and never will be, now) a G5 laptop because the cooling apparatus would have been bigger than the case it had to fit in!
Actually cooling was not the primnary factor, it was power consumption and although the two are related, the design of the G5 was never intended for portable use.

Steve's famous words were 'power per watt', which is where the Core Dup design really shines.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

Quote:

Does it involve putting the Mac in a freezer?

If so, I tried it, it doesn't work, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Does it involve putting the Mac in a freezer?

If so, I tried it, it doesn't work, sorry.
Do you ever post anything of any value here?

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

smurfy, that was indeed, a pointless and stupid comment. No, it has nothing to do with freezers, and I am pretty sure noone has anything like this idea.

Well here it is:

The dies on chips are shrinking ok - why don't they just INCREASE the die *area*, whilst keeping the 65nM/45nM track width, and space the semiconductor tracks out, with a wider spacing, so that the heat is dissipated over a wider area?. Surely if the ACTUAL DIE was doubled or tripled in size, then the surface area would be cooler, due to there not having all the tracks condensed down in a tighter packed space.

Just my idea - anyone know if that would work?. A bit like having a fireplace FULL of red hot coals, then taking them out and splitting the coals into 1mm square blocks, and spreading them over 100 Metre square area... surely the heat dissipation would be better?!.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« usb 2 for powerbook g4 help | Driving an external 24 inch (1920x1200) on a blackbook »