New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Getting A Dell Printer to Work with Mac Notebook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TZ250

TZ250 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

We purchased a Mac Notebook for our son and would like to know if there are any shareware drivers that would allow his Dell Printer to work with his notebook.

Have tried to search this forum but was unable ti find a specific answer.

TIA,

Bob
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

Im pretty sure it wont work.. we tried with our dell all in one for days with no success
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Dell doesn't make drivers for Mac OS. However, Dell printers are just rebadged Lexmarks. So, if you can find the Lexmark equivalent printer model, you can usually download and use a Lexmark driver.

What printer model is it?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Dell doesn't make drivers for Mac OS. However, Dell printers are just rebadged Lexmarks. So, if you can find the Lexmark equivalent printer model, you can usually download and use a Lexmark driver.

Good question...

the front says PictBridge and the back tag states 4411-0d3.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ250 View Post
Good question...

the front says PictBridge and the back tag states 4411-0d3.
PictBridge is an interface, Dell printers typically have a model number like A960 or something like that. Can you take a closer look for me?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TZ250

Quote:

it's a Dell Model 942
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ250 View Post
it's a Dell Model 942
That's a tough one. The Linux Printer Compatibility Database says that it's a "paperweight". Meaning, most of the printer's brains are in software, so the driver is extremely complex. Since it doesn't have any support in Linux, it's going to be difficult or impossible to find a Mac-friendly driver. I am still attempting to cross-reference it with a Lexmark model (The Linux Compatibility database usually does that for you), but am having a hard time. Give me some time and I'll see what I can come up with.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I found a reference that seems to indicate that the 942 is a rebranded Lexmark p6250. If that's true, give this driver a shot. You may have to manually add the printer and choose the driver from the list.

QUOTE Thanks
TZ250

Quote:
I found a reference that seems to indicate that the 942 is a rebranded Lexmark p6250. If that's true, give this driver a shot. You may have to manually add the printer and choose the driver from the list.
Thanks cwa107, I will try that driver and will let you know the results.
QUOTE Thanks
Detenoth

Detenoth is on a distinguished road

hello,

i am wondering whether or not it wold be possible to connect a Dell Colour Laser 3010cn Printer to our iBook G4, using a usb connection. i have so far been unable to find any sort of macintosh driver for this model. i found this thread through google. however, i have no idea whether or not the 3010cn is an old enough model to be a re-dressed lexmark. hopefully you will be able to shed some light onto the matter. if you can, please email me at nerdarmycommander @gmail.com
QUOTE Thanks
MRH

MRH is on a distinguished road

Is there a driver for the Dell 3010cn color Printer that is compatable with a MAC OS X (Snow Lepord)? Have looked and asked Dell still no luck.... your help is really appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH View Post
Is there a driver for the Dell 3010cn color Printer that is compatable with a MAC OS X (Snow Lepord)? Have looked and asked Dell still no luck.... your help is really appreciated.
There is a previous thread with some links on the forum here

Dell Printer Drivers?

Also that model is a rebadged Xerox DocuPrint c525a
http://www.fujixeroxprinters.com.au/...x?product=5452

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive problem | Epson Expression 800 scanner »