New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HDDs, Printers, Speakers... your thoughts?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Levi

 
Levi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Levi is offline
Ok, I need a new Printer, external 500GB HDD and some 2.0 speakers. What's good?

Printer: Has to be an "all-in-one" with Scan/Copy functions. It's mainly gonna be used as a scanner and for printing text, so built in LCDs and card readers are just bonuses, but colour and photo print quality will be taken into account. Also, small form factors and aesthetics all play their part. I don't really want to spend more than 100.

HDD: Must be FireWire compatible (FW800 preferred), and at-least 500GB. I've been looking at LaCie and WD, but Freecom do some cheaper ones (I have a Freecom HDD at the moment and am quite happy with it; are the LaCie/WD worth the extra?).

Speakers: Must be 2.0 (not allowed subs). I want decent quality audio, and decent volume, but they're only going to be used occasionally, so the cheaper the better.

Any thoughts? Want to recommend a product?

Thanks in advance; I'm really struggling here!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,494
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Ok, I need a new Printer, external 500GB HDD and some 2.0 speakers. What's good?

Printer: Has to be an "all-in-one" with Scan/Copy functions. It's mainly gonna be used as a scanner and for printing text, so built in LCDs and card readers are just bonuses, but colour and photo print quality will be taken into account. Also, small form factors and aesthetics all play their part. I don't really want to spend more than 100.
I like Canon's AIO printer line. They use ink tanks which are inexpensive, easily refillable and you only need to replace one if you run out of a particular color.

Quote:
HDD: Must be FireWire compatible (FW800 preferred), and at-least 500GB. I've been looking at LaCie and WD, but Freecom do some cheaper ones (I have a Freecom HDD at the moment and am quite happy with it; are the LaCie/WD worth the extra?).
I would recommend a Seagate. All external hard drives are limited in performance by the external bus. So, the best criteria to base your decision on is warranty. Seagate offers a 5-year warranty on all of their hard drives.

Quote:
Speakers: Must be 2.0 (not allowed subs). I want decent quality audio, and decent volume, but they're only going to be used occasionally, so the cheaper the better.

Any thoughts? Want to recommend a product?
I don't have much experience with the current offerings, so I'll defer to other's expertise.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

 
knightlie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 22, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,463
knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

knightlie is offline
I agree with cwa, get a printer with separate ink tanks per colour. These three-in-one things are a bloody rip-off, so spend extra now and save later. And bear in mind that your requirements may well change after you've bought it.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

 
PunkRockTuba's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 27, 2005
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 975
PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

PunkRockTuba is offline
Printer: the HP Photosmart 3210 is what I use and I love it. 6 separate cartridges, prints wonderful pictures, has an ethernet port for wireless printing, and more. It's a really nice printer.

Hard Drive: I have a LaCie and I like it a lot. If there is something you have and like, why not get another one?

Speakers: I have some Altec Lansing XT1 laptop speakers and they sound great, the deal with speakers is there are a million different kinds. I really like Altec Lansing, we've got 4 of their products and have been very happy with all of them. So anything they make I would definitely recommend, plus they are priced pretty well, www.alteclansing.com
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

 
rogerinlondon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 02, 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 397
rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

rogerinlondon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I would recommend a Seagate. All external hard drives are limited in performance by the external bus. So, the best criteria to base your decision on is warranty. Seagate offers a 5-year warranty on all of their hard drives.
I agree. I have two Seagate drives that works fine. Check out Maplin Electronics here in the UK, They have had some great deals on Seagate drives.
QUOTE Thanks
brentsax

 
brentsax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 24, 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 63
brentsax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3

brentsax is offline
HDD: You could consider putting your own external drive together and save probably %15 to %20 on what you would pay for a pre-assembled one. You can even get exactly the same drive and enclosure a lot of the time and pay much less. In addition, it's not a complicated procedure to put it together.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

 
Levi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Levi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsax View Post
HDD: You could consider putting your own external drive together and save probably %15 to %20 on what you would pay for a pre-assembled one. You can even get exactly the same drive and enclosure a lot of the time and pay much less. In addition, it's not a complicated procedure to put it together.
I've been looking at this option, but finding cases with FW800 wasn't easy, and the ones I have found aren't cheap (I can understand this as it's aimed at the Pro market).

I've managed to find the LaCie d2 Quadra for 100 though, while not as cheap as some others, it matches my d2 DVD-RW perfectly, so I'm gonna go with that.

PS. I was actually given one of these:



I've only used it for connecting my HDD to another Mac and upgrading the OS and am reluctant to keep it "always on" because of the lack of a fan or any form of protection against knocks. Do you think that would be a problem? Otherwise, I've already got a FW800 "enclosure".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Microsoft Habu | Formac LCD stopping startup. »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
External Speakers w iMac G5 mac57 Apple Desktops 3 11-04-2009 02:16 AM
Speaking into external microphone and projecting out to external speakers? davidjwright Apple Notebooks 0 03-23-2007 12:34 PM
External speakers for iBook... pod Apple Notebooks 1 01-10-2007 02:16 PM
macbook and logitech external speakers al gilliland Apple Notebooks 0 11-29-2006 10:16 PM
Ipod Shuffle External Speakers Reflow iPod Hardware and Accessories 3 06-04-2005 02:24 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?