New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Need Opinion on LCD choice for Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc is on a distinguished road

Here's the situation:
I purchased a Dell 2007wfp (20in, widescreen, multiple inputs, PinP, etc.) from a website and when I received the package, they gave me the Dell 2007fp, which is the non-widescreen version, but still a nice screen. Apparently at the store, they shipped me the wrong monitor and ran out of the 2007wfp's (go figure). So, instead of shipping it back, I got such a great deal on the monitor that I just kept it. I only paid $245 for the monitor. The reason I bought the monitor was for its features and because I'm going to college and I want to double it as a TV also.

While using it, I realized that I really want a widescreen or an actual LCD TV. So, with that, I put it on craigslist in trade for a widescreen version or for a LCD TV or for cash or something. While I patiently waited for an email, two weeks goes by and Best Buy just had the Acer 19" widescreen LCD on sale for $130. Without hesitating, I run to the store to buy the last one they had in stock. I'm now using it to type this message and I have to say, I do like it, but I would like something a little bigger for a TV.

Now, the big situation comes here. Just today, I finally received an email in regards to a trade with my Dell 2007fp. This guy, an hours drive away, has a Dell 2300 LCD TV (23in, way more inputs, made in '04, HD, etc.) he's had for 6 months and is moving. He wants to trade his TV for my monitor and $100 of my money. So, if you are keeping track, that would make the cost of the TV to me $350.

So, my question is: What is the better deal? Should I keep the Dell 2007fp? Should I trade it for the TV? Should I just sell the Dell monitor on eBay and keep the Acer one? Please consider cost because I am going to college and money is an issue.

I will be using it on my Macbook Pro mainly for doing engineering and design but also using it as a TV. I have a 5.1 speaker system already so sound is not an issue. I've been considering buying this Samsung HD tuner for $50 if I was to keep a monitor. So, here's a few solutions with costs:

1. Keep Dell 2007fp, buy HD tuner, return Acer = $295
2. Keep Acer, eBay Dell 2007fp, buy HD tuner = $180
3. Trade Dell2007fp for 2300, return Acer, buy tuner = $400
4. Same as 3 only no tuner = $350
5. Any others?

Thanks everyone for you input.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!! one mouse for 2 screens! | Apple Remote...no battery? »