New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

external hard drive recognition problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mbozluol

mbozluol is on a distinguished road

hello everyone,

i've just registered to the forum while i was looking for a solution in one of the pages. well, i have an external harddrive with ALL MY MUSIC in it. one day, when i connected the thing to my macbook the green light on the external drive blinked but the laptop did not recognize it (well the drive worked because there was the usual sound coming from it + the green light). when i tried to run disk utility, it said "gathering disk information" and it was struck in that state. what would you recommend? please guy, you MUST help...i've got whole of my music in it!!!

ps. something similar happened before but i could fix the problem when i bought a new usb-to-miniusb cable. this time, the problem remained when i did that.
QUOTE Thanks
mbozluol

guys, i really need some help. please? anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I've only had one problem with my external HD. I accidentally used the power cord from my cable modem and plugged it into my external HD. The external wasn't getting enough power to mount to the desktop but it had enough power to turn on and act like it was working.
I have a WD My Book Pro.
Bryan

What kind of external are you using?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
jakkyl

jakkyl is on a distinguished road

I anxiously waiting for an answer as well. My G-tech mini no longer mounts on the desktop and all my iTunes music is in it......
QUOTE Thanks
mbozluol

so, i had the proper cable and just to be sure, i've bought a new one. it's a miniusb to usb cable and it is identical to the one i used while it had been working. any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! Firewire accidentally unplugged during ProTools Session | Using my MacBook with my TV »