New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External hard-drive questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brooklyn431

brooklyn431 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, didn't know where else this would fit. I chose "Anything goes."

I just recently hooked up my new Airport Extreme. I just recently realized it has a USB plug in the bag so that means we can use an external harddrive, right? Does that mean the PC and the Mac can use the same Ext. HD? What is the security like on these things, people cannot get into our network there by accessing the Ext HD right? Also, what is the best brand? I found this on Apple's website... any good? http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TN685LL/A

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

My external HDD is formated and partitioned so that I can use it on my Mac and my daughter on her PC. Mine is just a generic can buy it anywhere HDD which connects via USB

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

See the following Sticky.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Not just anything belongs in "Anything Goes"

To quote it: "In short... this is NOT the place to put threads asking for tech help of any kind."

Although I cannot personally answer your question, my response is not only for you, but for everyone new to this site that may see this post. Many of the long timers around here just flat out are not going to answer a tech question posted in this area of the forums. This is a place for them to unwind, be lighthearted and not have to think about all us newbs out here and our problems and sometimes ridiculous questions. Some of which have been asked and answered countless times before.

But I will give you some guidance on where to post.
First - this is a purely hardware question - related to hard drive, Airport and networking.
Now take a look at the following picture from the Home page and see if you can figure out where this should go.
I know it may not seem all that important to us - but it after all, is not our forum, and the members around here are all too willing to help if we follow a little simple etiquette.

edit: and after going back further and seeing you had already posted this question in the correct place, many other long timers, will just ignore double posting. This is only a hobby to most of these people. There are no "paid" personnel sitting around waiting to respond. Yes, I know we've all gotten use to and expect immediate responses in our fast paced lives. But give people some time to respond. Many may only log on once a day for an hour at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (47.4 KB, 1 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Moved to correct forum

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Mouse Problem | Mobile IM »