New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HELP!! Experiencing ext HDD problem: not recognize as a device!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

csb22

csb22 is on a distinguished road

I am experiencing some weird problem with my HITACHI 40G external USB HDD (FAT32)...It has been working for 2 years no problems on both Mac and PC. Haven't used it for 4 weeks as I sent my macbook to repair due to the random shut down problem. Now the device starts but it doesn't show up as a external device, i.e. I don't have access.

Is it because of the new Software Update?

Funny thing is I have 3 hard drives (External all using USB connection, 2x 3.5"desktop drive, and 1x 2.5" laptop drive, all formatted as FAT32) The 2 desktop drives work perfectly on my mac book pro however only the 2.5" HITACHI HDD does not work anymore. The light on the HDD was on when I plug it in and I can hear it running but just my lovely OS X does not wanna show it as a device in either Macintosh HD, desktop or disk utility.

I still can't figure out why, because:
- The two 3.5" ext. HDD work on my macbook pro, so it is not usb port problem as such.
- The 2.5" ext HDD works on my colleague's macbook pro and my work pc (win xp), so it is not the ext. hard drive problem either!!

I am confused, I am lost........

What problem could it be????????????? It will be great if someone have any ideas of what weird thing is going on... Thanks Millions
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Had to get my Mighty Mouse exchanged, feel like I got Shortchanged on the deal. | 4200 RPM 2.5HDD worth putting in an External FW400/800 enclosure? »