New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Urgent help for really old mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wundersuprise

wundersuprise is on a distinguished road

I have a really old mac - G4 version 9.2.2 - and i have uninstalled IE, is there anyway to get this back? I tried the bin from here but when I open it, I get "the document could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found". Any help? I know nothing about macs pls excuse me
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

.bin is a compression format. Use the free Stuffit Expander to decompress the file. It's available at macupdate.com, versiontracker.com and elsewhere. Make sure you download a pre-OS X version.
QUOTE Thanks
wundersuprise

Thanks for the suggestion.

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...nder&os=macosx

That is what I searched for and there is only Stuffit Expander 11.0.2 for Mac OS X 10.4 or later. Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

The old version (halfway down on the right side of the three listed) is available here. (Stuffit might be surprised that Prince Charles downloaded the most recent Expander to my computer a couple of months ago.)
QUOTE Thanks
wundersuprise

I have tried both .hqx and .sit versions and they both have the same error message when I run them from the USB stick?
QUOTE Thanks
wundersuprise

Actually if I can get a copy of OS 10 will it run on my G4 with 1.12GB built-in memory? Then I can just install that deleting all of the old rubbish and start again with a better OS??
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by wundersuprise View Post
I have tried both .hqx and .sit versions and they both have the same error message when I run them from the USB stick?
Try putting Expander on the desktop, then drag the .bin file onto it. I hope the Expander file isn't compressed itself.

OS X should run on your G4.
QUOTE Thanks
wundersuprise

Ah ok, I might invest into OS X then.

I have put the .sit file onto the desktop and the .bin onto the desktop, then tried dragging the .bin over the .sit but it doesnt do anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Not quite correct. Is Expander compressed with a .sit or .bin after its name, as well? (If so, this is an old chicken-and-egg problem Stuffit did on purpose to "persuade" people to buy their deluxe Stuffit app. People would download Expander, but Expander would be compressed. There'd be no way decompress the decompressor.)

Expander is a drag-and-drop application. When it, itself, is not compressed, you can drag a .bin or .sit file onto Expander's icon. Doing so expands the .bin or .sit file.
QUOTE Thanks
wundersuprise

Yes it is a .sit file, so where can I get the application from then? Are there any other free apps for expanding .bin on mac 9.2.2 ?
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

IE is kind of, um, whats the word, the worst program ever. You should seriously try some other browsers.

Also, what??? iMac G4s came out after OS X, didn't they? How did your G4 end up with OS 9 on it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USb Camera (webcam0 for MAc OSx Tiger??? | Loss of data due to uncorrect initialization with disk utility »