New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How do I degauss my screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nightblade

Alright, so I've got a G3 iMac (the better kind, the one with the CD slot and the better speakers). Er, two of 'em, actually. Same specs, except one's able to read DVDs and the other is able to write to CDs. Anyway, there's a lot of static build-up on my screens, and I was wondering if there's anyway I can degauss the screens, like I can on most PC monitors (using the buttons on the front of the monitor).
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade
Alright, so I've got a G3 iMac (the better kind, the one with the CD slot and the better speakers). Er, two of 'em, actually. Same specs, except one's able to read DVDs and the other is able to write to CDs. Anyway, there's a lot of static build-up on my screens, and I was wondering if there's anyway I can degauss the screens, like I can on most PC monitors (using the buttons on the front of the monitor).
There is no button or control for this on the iMac. From the information I've read, the iMac will automatically degauss when the machine is completely shut down and then turned on again.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Ah, cool. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Not sure what static has to do with degaussing. A monitor needs to be degaussed when the exterior magnetic field surrounding the computer, has drastically changed, thus altering the image on the screen. Degaussing simply resets the ion gun at the rear of the CRT, straightening the magnetic field back out.

As for your question, the monitor automatically degausses each time it's turned on. All modern monitors do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DILEMA - can anyone give me some advise? | Will this router work? »