New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

AcomData External Drive Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CBJammin103

CBJammin103 is on a distinguished road

I have an AcomData 320GB external drive that's supposed to operate at USB 2.0 speeds. However, it's registering as a USB 1.1 device, and so it's operating at USB 1.1 speeds, which is unacceptable for what I'm trying to use it for.

I believe the problem is the special "CD" partition that the drive contains. It is "unformatable," supposedly, and mounts before the FAT32 other partitions on the drive. I think this forces it into USB 1.1 mode.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Or experience with these drives?

The problem exists in windows, too, and on other computers, by the way.

White Macbook
2.0 GHz Intel Core2Duo
2GB 667MHz RAM
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Dumb question, but is it plugged into a USB 2 port? Do all the new Macs have USB 2 only?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since he is using a Macbook there would be nothing but USB 2.0 ports. Is the drive plugged straight into the Macbook or through a hub? You are the 2nd person here to have issues with that very drive running at 1.1. Does the drive have Firewire also or just USB?
QUOTE Thanks
CBJammin103

CBJammin103 is on a distinguished road

I'm plugged directly into the Macbook's USB 2.0 ports. Unfortunately, the drive is only USB, so firewire, of course, is not a current option.

Any suggestions about getting rid of that other "unformattable" partition so the drive can just be a normal USB 2.0 drive?

AcomData hasn't responded to my e-mails and such and it's been nearly 4 months or so. Probably the worst company I have ever dealt with - I strongly recommend that no one buy anything from them.

White Macbook
2.0 GHz Intel Core2Duo
2GB 667MHz RAM
QUOTE Thanks
evildork

evildork is on a distinguished road

I have that same "hi-speed" USB 2.0 Acomdata 320GB external hard disk, and I can't get it to operate above 12mbit/s on my iBook G4 either. It won't connect to my hi-speed USB 2.0 powered hub at all. It will work when plugged directly into my iBook G4, but not in 480mbit mode. Other similar devices like the 1TB Seagate Freeagent work in hi-speed mode on my USB 2.0 ports and hub, but I don't have another machine with USB 2.0 to test the Acomdata on. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildork View Post
I have that same "hi-speed" USB 2.0 Acomdata 320GB external hard disk, and I can't get it to operate above 12mbit/s on my iBook G4 either. It won't connect to my hi-speed USB 2.0 powered hub at all. It will work when plugged directly into my iBook G4, but not in 480mbit mode. Other similar devices like the 1TB Seagate Freeagent work in hi-speed mode on my USB 2.0 ports and hub, but I don't have another machine with USB 2.0 to test the Acomdata on. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6.
Try completely erasing the drive and re-format it using Disk Utility. Format it to DOS (FAT-32). That's a long shot but it may work. I suspect those particular AcomData drives have defective firmware and\or drive electronics and probably should have been recalled or returned. Not much you can about that....

Another thing you might try: Remove the drive from its case and place it in an external USB 2.0 case. That has a better chance of working.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook to TV for gaming | Macbook Pro External Monitors** How Many **? »