New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Harddrive doesn't show up on macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lippstuh

lippstuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16ghz / 1gb ram / 120gb iPod 5G 30gb

ANOTHER ONE, YES I KNOW .

It's a 200gb maxtor one touch III 2.0 usb (f01e200) it does have a power cord, so it's not powered by usb. worked fine with my PC, doesn't even show up on the macbook... ntsf formatted i believe.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you open disc utility on the Mac, does it show up there?

QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

it doesn't show up in disk utility.

it showed up on my PC and when i boot up xp with bootcamp on my MB
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Mac does not recognise NTSF....needs to be Fat 32 if sharing between PC and Mac or just Mac format otherwise.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

Even if it's ntfs you should be able to see the drive and take files off of it. You cannot write to it though.

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

i find it odd that it won't even show up. do i need to reformat it into something else? i've read a few threads about reformatting with disk utility, but i can't even open it up on disk utility.

do i reformat with ms-dos on a pc?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippstuh View Post
i find it odd that it won't even show up. do i need to reformat it into something else? i've read a few threads about reformatting with disk utility, but i can't even open it up on disk utility.

do i reformat with ms-dos on a pc?
You can format it on a PC but format as fat32. Sometimes on a PC you need to go into disk uitilty and make the drive active also.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

I'll check it out. From my knowledge, windows xp will only let you format 32mb of it to fat32 or something of the sort. i will need another program. i've tried some part. program, but it doesn't really reformat which is pissing me off.

also the box did not say mac compatible... it didn't say it wasn't either.. big deal? i always thought a HD is a HD.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's been a LONG time since I ran into this issue with a friend of mine's G5, but he had an external that would not show up. What it turned out the problem was the Volume Name. If I remember right there was no Volume Name on the drive. Plugging in back into XP and adding a Volume Name caused it to show up in OSX. Not sure if this is your issue, but thought I would mention just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

Oh wow, okay i'll try that once i get home from NY. thanks i hope that's the problem =P
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

if you do not safely remove the external HD by ejecting it then it may take a long time to show up because it has to verify if any data has been lost.

This happened to me and i just left it like that for 10 minutes and it eventually showed up...
QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

well i named my external HD a few days ago, just remembered. plugged it in. didn't show up. =\
QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

bumpp
QUOTE Thanks
dennison

dennison is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. I have a whole array of External Hard disks and sometimes they simply don't show up. Currently I am having a problem with a new Western Digital drive, 360gb that just won't show up. Not even on the disk utility. I'm on a Macbook, and the drive is USB and self powered (not bus powered). I don't recall unplugging it without ejecting (I'm careful about this these days) so I don't understand why it would be having trouble.

(*update*)

Following an earlier suggestion, I do leave it and after a LONG while it does show up. Any suggestions about how to make the drive a bit more reliable?

-dennison
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

It is possible that it is because you have OS 10.4.10. Many people have been unable to use their USB hard drives since the update. It is very annoying and apparently still unfixed. I find it hard to accept that an apparently good company like Mac would leave so many of us with unusable hard disks for so long now. For us, the 10.4.10 update was just like receiving a virus!

See this thread for example:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=67484

Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading Macbook Hard Drive | Logitech S510 Keyboard + Mouse Config »