New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Piece of crap Mighty Mouse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

My mighty mouse decided to start crapping out. It still works, buttons and all. It scrolls horizontally and up, but doesn't scroll down. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix?

I hate buying a $50 mouse and then it starts breaking....

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

It's probably just a bit dirty... What I do...

Hold it upside down, spin the scroll bar while blowing into it... maybe a couple taps on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

Mine does that from time to time. It's a spinning ball so it's going to have all of the wonderful problems that ball mice used to have.

Yeah, as RIDE said, spin it around, blow inside, etc. Something needs to be knocked loose is all.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

To get the oily dirt out, I use a moistened Q-Tips with rubbing alcohol on it and roll the scrollball on it and it works great after that. Our skin releases oil that we are not aware of. Plus if you eat at your computer, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

That happened to me once. I just pressed harder. That must have getten the gunk unstuck. it never happened again.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

Seems both Ride & MacHeadcase saved me from this one too. Never looked back, just a blow and a tap and off you go. I think you owe your Mighty Mouse an apology! he he
QUOTE Thanks
beattie41

beattie41 is on a distinguished road

I think I'm on my third mighty mouse (warranty comes in handy) because of the same problem - only it doesn't scroll up.

To be honest - this is a design flaw with the mouse and it should be rectified.

I've tried tapping, blowing and rolling - none seem to work. What are Q-tips? Are they like cotton buds (U.K!).

I really don't want to send away for another one. The delivery driver is sick of coming to our house - it's quite embarrassing.

So any more tips? I do feel Apple should sort this minor issue out.

Edit: Just got it working. Go heavy on it - roll really hard with a clean damp cloth very fast - in all directions - upside down!
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Q tip:

QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattie41 View Post
Just got it working. Go heavy on it - roll really hard with a clean damp cloth very fast - in all directions - upside down!
That worked very well. Works like new again .

"Sowwy Mighty Mousie"

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

glosswhite can only hope to improve

Quote:
I think I'm on my third mighty mouse (warranty comes in handy) because of the same problem - only it doesn't scroll up.

I've tried tapping, blowing and rolling - none seem to work. What are Q-tips? Are they like cotton buds (U.K!).

I really don't want to send away for another one. The delivery driver is sick of coming to our house - it's quite embarrassing.

So any more tips? I do feel Apple should sort this minor issue out.

Edit: Just got it working. Go heavy on it - roll really hard with a clean damp cloth very fast - in all directions - upside down!
The delivery driver is paid to deliver to your house, be it one time or ten times, he has no reason to be "sick" of coming there; "delivery driver" - the job description is self-explanatory, and you as a consumer are entitled to have as many replacements as it takes, to satisfy you, no matter what BS people try and feed you. He should be happy to get so much work!.

Take apart, and clean your (not so) Mighty Mouse:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...arch&plindex=0
QUOTE Thanks
macsonic

macsonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeldar View Post
My mighty mouse decided to start crapping out. It still works, buttons and all. It scrolls horizontally and up, but doesn't scroll down. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix?

I hate buying a $50 mouse and then it starts breaking....
Can you try using a pc mouse? I used a $4.50 Genius USB mouse and it works fine with my Mac. Been using PC mouse for 2 years now, both on powepc and intel base macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Happens pretty often to all Mighty Mouses (from my experience at least). The only reason I'm still using one is because I love the 360º scroll wheel.

My method:
Get a piece of plain paper and put it on your desk (or wherever really). Take the mouse, turn it upside down and press the ball firmly onto the paper. Now rub like crazy in all directions. You'll be surprised how much crap comes off it.

There's a few videos on youtube showing different way to clean a Mighty Mouse but this one seems to work best for me.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:

I'd call it an inherent vice, rather than a design flaw. It's just a miniaturised version of the old style ball that mice use to track. If it's 1/10th the size, it takes 1/10th the gunk to stop it working.

I reckon given that, and the fact it is more exposed and manipulated by potentially greasy / dirty fingers, it is bound to be a problem.

This one comes up frequently. Personally I solved the problem by getting a different mouse. The Mighty mouse is anything but, and now rests peacefully in a drawer with a bunch of one button mice that have never even been plugged in
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
I'd call it an inherent vice, rather than a design flaw. It's just a miniaturised version of the old style ball that mice use to track. If it's 1/10th the size, it takes 1/10th the gunk to stop it working.
I don't think the ball itself or how it works are the design flaw, I think the lack of an easy method to remove and clean it are the design flaw. Apple went with aesthetics vice practicality in this case. Not a big surprise, but they could have gone that extra bit and had both. I ditched my MM over a year ago and have never looked back.

QUOTE Thanks
glosswhite

glosswhite can only hope to improve

Take it from a designer; it's a design flaw, pure and simple. Why should you need to CLEAN a scrollball; noone ever needs to clean scroll WHEELS, on PC mice!. If something needs constant cleaning (maintenance) just WEEKS after it has been bought, and then needs subsequent cleaning, at very short intervals, then you'd hardly call it a winning product!.

A domed touchpad would have been a better tracking method; that would need virtually NO cleaning, and it's solid state!.

Using such an outmoded and outdated method of tracking, is sheer madness, hence all the complaints. The paper corner trick is NOTHING more than a temporary displacement of the gunk that accumulates inside the tracking unit.

I use a laser mouse (£9.99) with VERY high resolution - I gave up on the (not so) Mighty Mouse, after owning one which drove me mad. What gives, Apple - did Jonny Ive run out of Koolade the day he conceived this?.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet: First Impressions. | Mac Noob printer help »