New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Another External HD Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whatstheneed

whatstheneed is on a distinguished road

Hey, as everyone seems to have External HD problems I thought I'd add mine to the melting pot. I have just got an external HD which I've converted from an internal one, originally it wouldn't show up on my Mac but now it will after a bit of help. However, when I try to copy anything to it it won't let me and comes up with the stop sign with the cursor. I went on Disk Utility but a similar problem arises in that it recognises it but won't let me do anything. I'm guessing it's been formatted wrong or something but don't know how to change that if Disk Utility won't let me do anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatstheneed View Post
Hey, as everyone seems to have External HD problems I thought I'd add mine to the melting pot. I have just got an external HD which I've converted from an internal one, originally it wouldn't show up on my Mac but now it will after a bit of help. However, when I try to copy anything to it it won't let me and comes up with the stop sign with the cursor. I went on Disk Utility but a similar problem arises in that it recognises it but won't let me do anything. I'm guessing it's been formatted wrong or something but don't know how to change that if Disk Utility won't let me do anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Was the drive formatted with a Windows machine?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
whatstheneed

it was formatted witha Windows machine
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it was formatted witha Windows machine
Mac OS X has the ability to read NTFS (the default filesystem of most newer versions of Windows), but not write to it. You'll either need to reformat it using HFS (done via the Disk Utility) or with FAT32 (referred to as "MS-DOS" in Disk Utility). Use MS-DOS if you intend to share the drive with a Windows machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
whatstheneed

Cheers, but it doesn't appear to let me reformat it, it has three options, first-aid, erase and restore but none seem to accept my HD
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Cheers, but it doesn't appear to let me reformat it, it has three options, first-aid, erase and restore but none seem to accept my HD
Reformat and erase are synonymous. You'll need to select the partition from the left side of the Disk Utility window, click the Erase tab and then choose the Format and click "Erase".

QUOTE Thanks
whatstheneed

I tried that but the format bit is greyed out and won't let me select what tiype of format. Any tips?
QUOTE Thanks
whatstheneed

I've managed to fix it, cheers for you help cwa. I deleted the partition in Windows disk management and was then able to do the reformatting you mentioned above. Much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I've managed to fix it, cheers for you help cwa. I deleted the partition in Windows disk management and was then able to do the reformatting you mentioned above. Much appreciated.
Glad to hear you managed to get it working.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Monitor Problems | MacBook won't find Firewire Drive »