New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I Want An Emac!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IWANTAMAC!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkOrange]Hey all! im new to the forum and this is my first post!
the thing is ive been using a windows pc all my life and i recently fell in love with an emac!!! im 14 and would only be using it for stuff like burning cd's, watching dvd's, doin coursework + homework for school etc.

I have a job and im going work 28 days and il have enough money for the combo drive model! it looks amazing.

Now heres the questions:
1)will i be able to hook it up to a wi-fi network from my dads pc downstairs using an external usb access point.
2) can i use msn messenger? (its an important part of my life!)
3)ive had a fiddle on the imac at my local pc world and took to osx straight away! will it be as easy as i sampled it during everyday use?
4) is it likley to crash? ive destroyed about 3 pc's by openin' bad emails!!
5) will it be able to handle all my needs without having to upgrade the ram??

thanks in advance!!!

!! ETHAN !!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTAMAC!

Now heres the questions:
1)will i be able to hook it up to a wi-fi network from my dads pc downstairs using an external usb access point.
3)ive had a fiddle on the imac at my local pc world and took to osx straight away! will it be as easy as i sampled it during everyday use?

thanks in advance!!!

!! ETHAN !!
1)I believe there may be one or two USB adapters that work, but I would definitely suggest using Airport for this.

2) Yes, MSN Messenger is available for OS X.

3) Yes, OS X is very user-friendly, and shouldn't take you long to become very comfortable with.

4) No, OS X is extremely stable, and rarely experiences crashing.

5) 256 MB should handle your needs for now, but when you save up enough in the future, I'd buy another chip and install it.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
IWANTAMAC!

OK thanks for the fast reply! one more question:
is an airport base station compatable with an xp pc???
i did some searching around and it seems that the external access points would be cheaper! o yer! can a airport card work together with say a netgear wireless dsl router?
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
OK thanks for the fast reply! one more question:
is an airport base station compatable with an xp pc???
i did some searching around and it seems that the external access points would be cheaper! o yer! can a airport card work together with say a netgear wireless dsl router?
See: http://homepage.mac.com/heathpitts/airportconfig.html

jjh
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
can a airport card work together with say a netgear wireless dsl router?
Yes...they use the same 802.11(b or g) standard. b should be fine if you're just sharing an internet connection, or moving fairly small files around, i.e. spreadsheets/documents. If you're planning on sharing videos between computers, go for the g, just make sure all computers can take advantage of it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtx3000

good choice on the emac - i could've got an emac w. superdrive and loads of ram with the money extra i spent on my imac. but i've always been one to spend more for a shiny lcd...
so shiny...
enjoy the emac!
it is a fine machine indeed, esp. with the new upgrades they just got
QUOTE Thanks
manhattanmonkey

How close are you to ordering your eMac. I'm getting ready to order mine in the next couple of weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

eMac Rules in value, just keep in mind the RAM slots are 2 so 2 X 512 = max to 1 Gig
QUOTE Thanks
HopperJonusFang

Quote:
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkOrange]Hey all! im new to the forum and this is my first post!
the thing is ive been using a windows pc all my life and i recently fell in love with an emac!!! im 14 and would only be using it for stuff like burning cd's, watching dvd's, doin coursework + homework for school etc.

I have a job and im going work 28 days and il have enough money for the combo drive model! it looks amazing.

Now heres the questions:

thanks in advance!!!

!! ETHAN !!
1. Yes!

2. Yes you can use MSN Messenger, although the official MS version for the Mac is very limiting and frustrating to use, so much so that unofficial versions are usually more advanced. I highly recommend you download dMSN when you get your eMac. It is much better than MSN Messenger.

3. Yes! After using my new eMac for about an hour I knew exactly what I was doing with it.

4. No, MacOS X is very reliable and stable. I only experienced 2 crashes ever in the near year i've had it and both were in the first week, kernel panics. Ever since things have been hunky dory.

5. It depends how much RAM you have of course. Apple are traditionally stingey with RAM, my eMac came with 128Mb making it quite slow. Luckily it was near Christmas and I treated myself to an extra 256Mb stick taking me up to 384Mb - which is fine. I'd say a bare minimum of 256Mb.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop is lock | Pda »