New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook Pro - Laptop and External Monitor Connectivity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

My new work have an unlimited budget and have basically told me I can get any computer I want.

Because I'll have my iMac at home and I will be travelling from office to office I was thinking of getting a Macbook Pro and an external monitor but have a few questions regarding them.

1. Would I be able to hook the macbook pro and an external monitor up together and run dual monitors?
2. Would I be able to hook the macbook pro to the external monitor and use the external monitor screeen only and the mackbook pro as the actual system?
3. Would I be able to do both of the above but use an external keyboard and mouse instead of the laptop keyboard and finger pad?

Any help appreciated.

Liam
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yes.

I wish they were all that easy....
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Well, if we NEED to have a little expanded discussion in here, I guess we can...

When you hook up the external monitor and keyboard/mouse to use the MBP just as the system, you'll need to boot up as normal, connect the peripherals, close the lid (letting the computer go to sleep), then use the external keyboard/mouse to wake the computer back up.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
adler

adler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G

Can't you just do a ... Fn and F7 or w/e the screen key is? That should work should it not? With projectors it's the way to put it on both screens, or either or ...so i'm guessing it's the same.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adler View Post
Can't you just do a ... Fn and F7 or w/e the screen key is? That should work should it not? With projectors it's the way to put it on both screens, or either or ...so i'm guessing it's the same.
You can do this, but this requires that the screen of the notebook stay open...I was merely suggesting the other method so he could keep the MacBook Pro closed and safe from harm.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
you'll need to boot up as normal, connect the peripherals, close the lid (letting the computer go to sleep), then use the external keyboard/mouse to wake the computer back up.
Actually, I use my MBP this way with the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse and monitor connected, and all I do is hit the power button and close the lid immediately. Works just fine and no need to wait, put to sleep, then wake up again.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
jauhari

jauhari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
You can do this, but this requires that the screen of the notebook stay open...I was merely suggesting the other method so he could keep the MacBook Pro closed and safe from harm.
If you want keep you MacBook Pro Cool try to Installing smcFunControl
Small App and Perfect for MacBook/MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« partitions on my drive | Unrecognized Hard-Drive »