New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Using the Zune on my Powerbook G4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebear

ebear is on a distinguished road

Hello this is my first post. I work at radioshack and after seeing the Zune and the IPOD upclose and playing with both of them I decided on the Zune. I like the bigger screen. I liked the fact that it wouldnt scratch. I also liked the subscription music service. Also the whole wireless just sounded awesome

Anyway, I get it home and hook it up with my desktop PC. (AMD X2 4200, 7800GT, 2GB of RAM) and it works just fine. Set up my subscription to the market place. get a few songs and sync it all up. Everything is workin perfect. I love it. But then comes to problem. I plug it in to my laptop. a Powerbook G4.. it won't even recognize it.. Apple didn't make any drivers to recognize the zune?!~?! anyone else havin this problem? I'll never switch to the ipod after usin this zune.. but I really want to be using it on my Powerbook since thats what i'll bring to college with me.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Nope can't use the Zune with Apple's

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
justsumguy256

justsumguy256 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Pimped out hollllllllla at ya boi

What I did was bring it into BESTBUY GEEK SQUAD and they were able to load on the special drivers that they had developed. You will need to reformat your hard drive but after that everything works perfect!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

it's up to microsoft to make their product compatible with mac hardware. just like it was apple's decision after a couple years to finally make ipods pc compatible. don't blame apple on this one.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
justsumguy256

justsumguy256 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Pimped out hollllllllla at ya boi

TRIPPINMONKEY yes you can but you need special driver cd version.
QUOTE Thanks
ebear

ebear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
it's up to microsoft to make their product compatible with mac hardware. just like it was apple's decision after a couple years to finally make ipods pc compatible. don't blame apple on this one.
Yeah like the Zune can just automatically put some drivers into your Comp.. psssssh, its up to mac to get a driver are you serious?

anyway.. I dont wanna get into a mac vs PC battle I have both and love both. I like the PC for gaming and the Mac for workin.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsumguy256 View Post
What I did was bring it into BESTBUY GEEK SQUAD and they were able to load on the special drivers that they had developed. You will need to reformat your hard drive but after that everything works perfect!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I don't believe you.

1) best buy geek squad doesn't develop anything
2) http://www.zune-online.com/mac-and-linux.html

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

so, when the ipod first came out and wasn't pc compatible, why was that do you think?

apple did not build into the firmware of the ipod the ability to communicate with windows. it was apple who decided to do it after some time (i believe with the G4, but i could be wrong).

microsoft chose not to build in compatibility with macs.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear View Post
Yeah like the Zune can just automatically put some drivers into your Comp.. psssssh, its up to mac to get a driver are you serious?

Apple doesn't have to develop anything to support microsofts products.

Apple created iTunes and the drivers for the iPod to work on PC's.
If Microsoft wants to the Zune to work on OS X they would have to make their own software for it to work.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Knew something was fishy with two guys making their first posts in the same thread. It was the same person

QUOTE Thanks
eric

i kind of figured it might be.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Honestly, I don't believe you.

1) best buy geek squad doesn't develop anything
2) http://www.zune-online.com/mac-and-linux.html
Yeah I feel the same way.

And what is this Reformat your Macs drive? To what? NTFS?

It's up to Microsoft to make the Zune work with Macs or Linux. The ball is in their court. I was glad Apple did that with the iPod as it allows everyone to enjoy it.

Edit, Good Job trpnmonkey41! Looked fishy to me also. I do not have much respect for Geek Squad after what they did to friends of mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

actually, if some one knows how it works, they can develop drivers for OS X. There's people out there with the ability to do it.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
actually, if some one knows how it works, they can develop drivers for OS X. There's people out there with the ability to do it.
I agree. Sure someone could write a driver, I just don't believe Geek Squad did. The Zune is a nice player. I hope support for OSX comes soon as there are people who have Zune's that love OSX.

For my own usage I prefer the iPod's interface, but the Zune is not bad at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

He was talking about a PPC Mac, anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem installing a HP Lasrjet 2100/M/TN | Can I password protect a WD external drive? »