Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   MyBook doesn't want to be MyBook (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/63961-mybook-doesnt-want-mybook.html)

xwtfbrendan 05-29-2007 12:08 AM

MyBook doesn't want to be MyBook

I have quite the problem to share with you all and I hope you can help.

Today I purchased my new baby, a black macbook. I love it. Also, a 250GB WD MyBook (Firewire too so it must be the pro version, I don't feel like checking the box.)

The issue I am having is everything works fine - for about 2 seconds. If I turn on the HD and leave it unplugged from the computer, it will stay on for eternity. The second I plug it into the laptop, Firewire or USB, it does what it is supposed to do, shows up on the desktop etc etc, I can even see the autorun and mac folder on it, then the hard drive CLICK off. I cannot turn it back on until I unplug and replug the power cord from the back of it.

I'm completely lost as to what to do. I understand it needs formatting but I can't click to the partitioning menus without it shutting off. Please help I appreciate any reply. Thank you.

dtravis7 05-29-2007 12:29 AM

My Opinion is you have a defective MyBook there. I have never had a FireWire External do that on a Mac or PC. Where did you purchase it? That does not sound good at all.

Oh forgot, Congrats on the Black MacBook. They look so nice.

MinaMACMan 05-29-2007 12:31 AM

I'll have to agree with dtravis, u might wanna take that puppy back and get a new one.

But on the other hand Congrats on the MacBook, isn't the Black ones so Elegant ;D

xwtfbrendan 05-29-2007 01:21 AM

It is by far the most gorgeous laptop I have ever laid my eyes on, and now hands. I'm so impressed with this machine, I have very high expectations but this surpasses them.

Oddly enough, I got the poor 250GB EHD at the Apple Store, at the same time as the Macbook. I think I should take her back down there, but - I have work so much it won't be for a little bit and I need this fixed ASAP. I am a professional photographer for 3 companies, one which I own 50% of, and this harddrive was meant for our main photo storing / backing up. This is slowing down work, and therefore profits.

I hate it when things don't work. I was just hoping this was a common problem or something. Thank you for the quick replys guys, I'm glad to be a part of the Apple world now.

dtravis7 05-29-2007 02:14 AM

I have had very good luck with Western Digital drives, both internal and External. I guess you got a bad one. Happens with any brand. Let us know what happens.

wesleya 05-29-2007 04:04 AM

Just return the thing, I'm sure you can find a hole in your busy schedule to take it back to the store, if else just give the receipt to a collegue and let him/her return it...

And congratz on the macbook, they are so incredibly sexy, I myself have a macbook pro, but I wished they had those in that sexy black color!!!

Grtz and honor,

Wesley

xwtfbrendan 05-29-2007 02:59 PM

I'll be bringing it back tomorrow morning on the way to the studio.

Bringing it back to a DIFFERENT Apple store shouldn't be an issue right?

dtravis7 05-29-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xwtfbrendan (Post 403738)
I'll be bringing it back tomorrow morning on the way to the studio.

Bringing it back to a DIFFERENT Apple store shouldn't be an issue right?

I would not think it would be a problem but be sure you have your receipt!

MinaMACMan 05-29-2007 06:15 PM

Yeah the Apple store wouldn't have a problem where u bought it from, as long as u have a receipt and within the return period, which from ur Original Post I can assume u r.

Good Luck and if u don't mind and if ur time permits please update us. :Cool:

Cheers

xwtfbrendan 05-29-2007 11:30 PM

Definetly will, and I will have some shots to show you guys soon.

By the way, Aperture - AMAZING PROGRAM.

If you don't have it get it. The tools of photoshop with the simplicity of picasa.

xwtfbrendan 06-08-2007 01:21 PM

Brought it there, they replaced it, done. <3 Apple.

sLux 06-08-2007 01:38 PM

Good, another happy apple costumer! :D
Gratz on the macbook, and yes, aperture is an Amazing program! :D <3

Village Idiot 06-09-2007 12:50 PM

A lot of the people posting reviews on tiger direct and newegg have been complaining about the WD mybooks being unreliable and having problems or just outright dying on them.

It's a shame because you can get a 500gb FW800 for fairly cheap, which is hard to do since there's not a lot out there with FW800 capabilities. I would expect better quality from WD as there record has been pretty good. It sounds more like a Maxtor product than WD.

dtravis7 06-09-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Village Idiot (Post 411126)
A lot of the people posting reviews on tiger direct and newegg have been complaining about the WD mybooks being unreliable and having problems or just outright dying on them.

It's a shame because you can get a 500gb FW800 for fairly cheap, which is hard to do since there's not a lot out there with FW800 capabilities. I would expect better quality from WD as there record has been pretty good. It sounds more like a Maxtor product than WD.

Thanks for the heads up on that VI. I will have to keep my eyes open. I have WD is not starting to go downhill. I have had great luck here but don't have any of their MyBook drives.