New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

external HD question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

I want to buy an external drive 500GB max. Tiger direct is next to my house and they have great specials. My problem is that I keep seeing HD's with software and what not.
Why would I need software for a hard drive?
Can I just use the hard drive that I buy in the same way I use my Ipod with disk usage enable? i.e. drag and drop files/folders freely like I do on the Ipod and other memory sticks?
What drive would you guys recommend? I know I can make one but the price is very good at tiger direct.

Thanks guys and sorry for the barrage of questions.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo15 View Post
I want to buy an external drive 500GB max. Tiger direct is next to my house and they have great specials. My problem is that I keep seeing HD's with software and what not.
Why would I need software for a hard drive?
Can I just use the hard drive that I buy in the same way I use my Ipod with disk usage enable? i.e. drag and drop files/folders freely like I do on the Ipod and other memory sticks?
What drive would you guys recommend? I know I can make one but the price is very good at tiger direct.

Thanks guys and sorry for the barrage of questions.
The software included is likely to make full and incremental system back-ups. Some drives also offer a "one touch" feature to simplify backups. Some drives include Mac software, others don't. Regardless of the software included, yes, you can use the drive in the manner you describe.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

Thanks. How does the auto system back up work? What exactly does it back up?
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

Can I use a 500GB HD with my mac and pc? I know the pc uses ntfs or whatever, can I just partition the drive in half with both formats?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You can format the drive as FAT-32 and use it with both systems. Macs can read and write to FAT-32 partitions. In fact, you're probably better off formatting the drive to FAT-32 on the Mac rather than on the PC.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks. How does the auto system back up work? What exactly does it back up?
It depends on how you have it configured. It can backup a few folders, or the entire drive. It all depends on how it's configured.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You can format the drive as FAT-32 and use it with both systems. Macs can read and write to FAT-32 partitions. In fact, you're probably better off formatting the drive to FAT-32 on the Mac rather than on the PC.
Can you format a drive that large with FAT32 though? I know there's a limitation, but am not sure if that's just imposed by Windows to try to force users over to NTFS.

Here's what I do - I have a 300GB external drive. I seperate it into 2 140GB partitions. One for my Mac and one for my PC laptops.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Can you format a drive that large with FAT32 though? I know there's a limitation, but am not sure if that's just imposed by Windows to try to force users over to NTFS.

Yes, you can. Just not on Windows and for the reason you mentioned. Go figure.

QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

Thanks much guys. Fantom drives any good? This is the one i can get a deal on http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7658&CatId=136
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Thanks much guys. Fantom drives any good? This is the one i can get a deal on http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7658&CatId=136
They're not a major manufacturer. It's probably just a generic, Chinese conglomerate company with a badge name that sounds interesting (for Marketing purposes). I'd recommend you check with Tiger on what kind of drive is actually inside the case. If it's not a Seagate or a Western Digital, I'd look elsewhere (JMO).

QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yes, you can. Just not on Windows and for the reason you mentioned. Go figure.
I thought I'd read that somewhere. I think Windows will only let you go up to 64GB or some arbitrary limit. Once again, it takes a Mac to do things right

QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

I just wanted to clear something up guys. HFS+ is the format if I only want to use on the mac correct? If I want to use it on both its fat 32 I know that now. My last question is, Can I partition half the drive fat32 ant the other half HFS+?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I just wanted to clear something up guys. HFS+ is the format if I only want to use on the mac correct? If I want to use it on both its fat 32 I know that now. My last question is, Can I partition half the drive fat32 ant the other half HFS+?
HFS is what you want to use if you just need to use it with the Mac. FAT32 will work with both.

Yes, you can use the Disk Utility to create 2 "partitions", that is, two or more areas of the disk that essentially behave as multiple disks.

QUOTE Thanks
SparrowFall

SparrowFall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Quicksilver 1.4 ghz, 1.5 GB SdRam, 180 Gig HD, running OS 4.1

How would one format to fat32 on a mac?

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! Fantom 120gb won't mount | Accessories question... »