New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

where is a cheap place for usb cable?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac smalls

mac smalls is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16ghz c2d BlacBook 160gbHD 1gbRAM

hi, I'm looking to purchase a usb cable for an HP printer that I bought as bundle with my MacBook. Where would you guys recommend?? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac smalls View Post
hi, I'm looking to purchase a usb cable for an HP printer that I bought as bundle with my MacBook. Where would you guys recommend?? Thanks!
Just about anywhere that sells computer products and office supplies. If you're looking for a good price, try Pricegrabber.com. Keep in mind that more expensive, does not equal better performance. You are safe to go with a cheap one if you can find one. A friend of mine works at the Geek Squad at Best Buy and tells me that the markup is ridiculous - they recoup some of the profit margin lost on printers by selling you an outlandishly expensive cable.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

papercut will become famous soon enough

Check for cables on ebay. It may take a couple of days, but you'll find some unbelievable prices compared to what you'll find at a retail shop. If you can deal with the delay, you'll save a lot of cash.

--

papercut
--
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

walmart/radioshack
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I got mine from Amazon.co.uk. I paid the grand total of 0.01.
Admittedly the postage and packing was about 2.50 but still that's a major bargain.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercut View Post
Check for cables on ebay. It may take a couple of days, but you'll find some unbelievable prices compared to what you'll find at a retail shop.

--
No kidding. I went to a local office supply store knowing that the prices would be higher than online, but I was utterly shocked when I saw the price tag. They were charging upwards of 50 bucks for a 14 foot USB cable! The Ethernet cables were a bit less pricey, but still ridiculous compared to what I've gotten before online. I was so disgusted with the heavy markup that I just walked out of the store.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

They really take you for a ride on cables. That's why I never throw away cables. I have a rather large box load; probably 3 or 4 USB cables of various lengths. I even have a couple big old serial cables from old printers!

Checking Ebay is probably a good idea.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you don't feel like scouring ebay and want an established online retailer (and provided you live in the US), check out Newegg. I did a quick search on USB printer cable and found one for a bit under $3.00, and I saw a 16 foot cable for a measly 10 bucks. Definitely a bargain compared to the extravagant prices at brick-and-mortar stores

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

anywhere just not like PC World or Staples - they rip you off on cables (or they do here in the uk)

i would go for

ebuyer
or ebay
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

I'd just pick one up at Target, but you can probably find them cheaper online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Windows keyboard on Mac | HP Photosmart c3180 »