New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

USB 2 vs Firewire 400

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

I heard that firewire is faster than USB 2, but when i saw the speeds, it was 400 MBPS for firewire vs 480 MBPS for USB 2

so is firewire faster than USB 2 or not?

What is better for transferring work and media (music, videos, photos) on an external HD?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Firewire is faster. Burst speeds, USB 2 is faster, but normal sustainable speeds, firewireis much faster.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Firewire is better for just about all normal uses.

USB 2.0 works fine on iPods when syncing because it is usually just a few songs adding here and there.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Those 480Mbps and 400Mbps (not MB, MB is mega bytes and Mb is mega bits) are theoretical top speeds. In reality USB2 only reaches those speeds in bursts like stretchR has said. Firewire reaches it's peak and can hold it for a sustained period of time.

Think of it as a porsche driving in a 30mph zone and pontiac sunfire driving in a 50mph zone. Which is the faster car?
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
Those 480Mbps and 400Mbps (not MB, MB is mega bytes and Mb is mega bits) are theoretical top speeds. In reality USB2 only reaches those speeds in bursts like stretchR has said. Firewire reaches it's peak and can hold it for a sustained period of time.

Think of it as a porsche driving in a 30mph zone and pontiac sunfire driving in a 50mph zone. Which is the faster car?
ohh ok thanks, know i understand...
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I just synced just over 50 GB of music to a new (NO firewire sync!!!!) 80 GB ipod, and had to use USB 2.0... it was TERRIBLE!!!! It took over 4 hours.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
I just synced just over 50 GB of music to a new (NO firewire sync!!!!) 80 GB ipod, and had to use USB 2.0... it was TERRIBLE!!!! It took over 4 hours.
Wow, that is a long time, I don't think I'm going to be transferring that much data at once anyway...I need to transfer about 12gb - 16gb of data
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

With computers, you almost never want to look at the ratings of devices. Most all of them are theoretical. Always need to look at testing, to see if they can actually perform at their rated speeds or not. And it is always best to look at multiple tests.

Just got a quad interface enclosure and the Seagate 750GB SATA drive. Have only begun some testing - hope to have more up by the end of this next weekend.

Here are some preliminary #s. Am not tracking transfer rates, but, what we all care about - how long is it going to take. Both of these are for transferring from the standard MBP 5400 RPM 120GB drive.

1) Keep all software downloads in a folder called downloads. Currently, have 98 files, mostly .dmg's, totaling 1.32GB
USB - 1 Min 26 sec
FW400 - 59 sec
FW800 - 50 sec

2) A 7.57 GB movie folder
USB - 8 min 9 sec
FW400 - 4 min 39 sec

Anyone care to see something specific, let me know, and will try. Have not purchased an eSATA card, so I will not be able to test that at this time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post

something ive found... if itunes isnt selected (highlighted or active), meaning this is the program that you are currently selected on, it will go about 1 song every 3 seconds.

if i have itunes active/selective, it goes about 3 songs a second.

try it. its odd

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Same thing happens with windows. The "highlighted" program is given priority with cpu cycles, ram,....etc...
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post

Depends how fast they're going
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

papercut will become famous soon enough

Hmmm.... how about this for a comparison:

Think of a Porsche driving 45 mph and a bicyclist riding 50 mph. Which one will cover 500 miles more quickly? The Porsche (firewire) maintains a consistent speed for the entire transfer rather than measuring the speed of a short burst.

--

papercut
--
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blown firewire ports- help please! | sata hd shell »