New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problems with new emac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DangerMan

When it became time to get a new computer I finally listened to all the mac-lovers and decided to get a mac. In the store the assistant recommended the emac - which I bought. I've had it 3 months now and have had nothing but problems with it.

The problem is that it is just so slow. In fact it is so slow there must be a fault with it - I can't imagine anyone else putting up with it.

I only use it for two applications; dreamweaver and photoshop. When using DW I have to wait anywhere between 20-40 secs for the emac to react. Just now I attempted to open a page which took 22 secs. I then tried to insert a table which took 32 secs. It took a further 1 min 17 secs to add 4 images to a 9 cell table. That's 2 mins 11 secs just to open a page and add a table.

To connect to the internet [56k dial-up] takes over 3 mins. To open Photoshop CS takes almost 4 mins. I know that all these precise times sound obsessive but I'm at the end of my tether. Especially since my etower 510 PC [which I was attempting to replace with the mac] will operate both DW and PS in an instant.

What is wrong with my emac?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Alright I have three things that you can try

1. Repair Permissions
----Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility - Select Macintosh HD (Or whatever you named it) and click repair permissions......Do this until it says No Repairs made

2. File System Check
----Restart the Computer and hold down Apple+S as soon as it turns on...Release the buttons when the Single User mode screen appears (you will know it when you see it)..........type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter...do this until it says HD is OK...Type restart to get back to OS X

3. Back-up and Reformat

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Let us know if there are any improvements after doing the first 2 and if not then we can guide you through the reformat

QUOTE Thanks
DangerMan

thanks I'll try that now
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What OS are you running and how much memory do you have? It maybe the case where you are running with the minimum amount of memory.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
What OS are you running and how much memory do you have? It maybe the case where you are running with the minimum amount of memory.
well he says he got it 3 months ago so im gonna take a guess this is his specs

1ghz G4
256 or 512 ram
80gb hd

QUOTE Thanks
DangerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Alright I have three things that you can try

1. Repair Permissions
----Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility - Select Macintosh HD (Or whatever you named it) and click repair permissions......Do this until it says No Repairs made

2. File System Check
----Restart the Computer and hold down Apple+S as soon as it turns on...Release the buttons when the Single User mode screen appears (you will know it when you see it)..........type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter...do this until it says HD is OK...Type restart to get back to OS X

3. Back-up and Reformat
when I type restart it says -sh: restart: command not found
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

then its reboot

i always get the 2 of them mixed off

QUOTE Thanks
DangerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
then its reboot

i always get the 2 of them mixed off
I tried steps 1 and 2 and there seems to be an improvement. I monitor it over a day or so and let you know. I really hope the problem is solved because I really want to like the emac. I would love to be as pleased with my emac as everyone else is with there's.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Also run crons if you're not using Mac Janitor:
Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

If you are going to be running memory hogs like dreamweaver and photoshop, you should definitely max out your ram.. you'll see an improvement there also.
QUOTE Thanks
DangerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
If you are going to be running memory hogs like dreamweaver and photoshop, you should definitely max out your ram.. you'll see an improvement there also.
How do I add more ram? How expensive?

my emac is:

eMac
PowerPC G4 (3.3)
memory 128 mb
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

well iI am going to take a guess that you have the 1ghz machine since the 700 and 800mhz was PPC 2.1

http://www.welovemacs.com/memory1ghz.html

You can get it through apple but it will be almost twice as much money
If you can afford it go for 2 512 sticks to get you to the eMacs maximum which will be an enormous improvement

The minimum I would recommend upgrading is getting a single 512 stick that way in the future you can just get another stick and pop it in (you can still use your 128 that you have now until then)

Be sure to get the PC133 and not the PC100 they listed

QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Yep, max out the Ram. The big speed killer on the eMac range is the HD speed so you have to minimise the amount of virtual ram usage (as it is really on the HD).

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan
my emac is:

eMac
PowerPC G4 (3.3)
memory 128 mb
The performance you quote is the performance you will get with the amount of RAM u have. Try getting more RAM, it should solve ur problem. Good Luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 128 mb ram or 256mb?? | Broadband »