New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macbook - Lacie HD & Clean Up > ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digitalfish

digitalfish is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

hello everyone... I am looking for a firewire HD to use with my Macbook to store all my Ableton Live files and clips for performance. I have never used or purchased an external HD so this wil be my first. The Lacie HD's were recommended and I will be using it with my Macbook, 2 MIDI controllers, and a M-Audio FW410 as my audio interface. I have deleted most of the programs on my Macbook because I am dedicating my Macbook for Ableton Live performance and DJing. I am not too familiar with OSX however is there a feature to clean the HD or defrag like with Windows. I know some maintance on Windows doesn't have to be done on OSX. I just want to perform some maintenance (like I do with Windows) for max performance...
QUOTE Thanks
iWish

iWish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video

Based upon what I've read in several other posts, defragging your HD is not necessary with OS X - well, not on your part. It does this automatically each time you install/remove an application, and maybe someone else can mention other times when OS X will do this.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

as long as the HD is formatted HFS+ you should be ok.

if it's FAT32 you may need expensive software to handle that sort of task. and if it's NTFS, reformat it.

for some more detail, check this recent thread i had on a similar issue:
FAT32 ext harddrive. does OS X defrag FAT?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
digitalfish

digitalfish is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

yeah...I actually just bought a couple of books on MAC OS X and started readin about this.....thanks..

MACS RULE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rain Recording Storm Drive Pocket Hard Drive | Firewire problem »