New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dead WD MyBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

I just recieved my WD MyBook Pro from the Ebay auction I won. And it seems to be dead. It is getting power because after about 30 Min it starts to get warm, but it does not turn on or mount on the desktop or even spin up. Is there something I am missing before I send it back?? When I got it everything was sealed, the box was sealed and the drive itself was sealed with an antistatic bag. All of the cables were sealed also so I dont think it was tampered with.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Such is the risk of using eBay....

If the seller has a return/refund policy, then I would just go with that.
There is no sense wastng time on trying to get it to work, when that time could diminish what return/refund period you have left.
Those drives aren't terribly expensive, so you should be able to pick up a factory brand new one at most major retailers.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

I do agree with you. I did end up paying close to what I could get it for at Newegg. I will probably end up going with that and be safe.

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

What do you guys think about a LaCie D2 Quadra 500GB? I found one at an online store that is cheaper than the MyBook. I may go with that one.

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

There's some chance shipping could of damaged it, AFAIK, but it's just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

quite possible, but either way I have to get it replaced

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

The person that sold it to me said that they will honor the return and replacement of the drive. Now would it be better to return it and get the LaCie d2 Quadra or just get another MyBook Pro?

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
origami

origami is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Just being curious, which My Book Pro did you get? The 1TB or 500GB one? I am planning on getting the 1TB My Book Pro II but there has been issues with the noise, although Western Digital has a firmware for this problem. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I have a 250GB MyBook Pro and I like it but I wish it had a fan. It doesn't over heat or anything, it'd just give me piece of mind. If you bought it new, you could send it back to WD if the guy doesnt honor the return/exchange.
Get what you like, they're really all the same.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

Yea the guy replaced it. So I had another brand new one within a few days. I have the 500 GB one and the noise is only the HDD spinning up which is normal. If it had a fan then I would be happier but it works well, especially with all of those slots along the outside. After a little while of it running it gets pretty warm on the top vents and if you pick it up the bottom is very cool, no heat at all. so it works pretty well without a fan. If I would have not chose this one, I would have picked the LaCie d2 quadra which doeshave a fan, and an Esata plug but it is a little bit more expensive.

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Yea, I really should swap out the HD in mine and put in a new one. I got mine new on eBay and the guy packed it badly. It makes that rumbing noise when its writing and transferring files. It seems slower than my old external too which was also a 7200 RPM drive. I've taken it apart and it looks pretty simple, so now I just need some spare dough.
Cool that yours turned out well.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

I looked at how to open it just out of curiosity and I could not find out how. I asked Western DIgital and they said that the internal interface is SATA. And I know that a few people on here were not sure about what it was.

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfering files???? | External Displays...help »