New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HD Format?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slim91

slim91 is on a distinguished road

i just bought an external hard drive (500 GB) and was wondering what the format should be. my pc needs it to be in ntsf so i formated it to that setting but when i plugged it into my apple the drive only allowed me to read the files. i wanna be able to read and write all my files in both computers.

Thanks!
slim

:bomb:
QUOTE Thanks
RTP

RTP is on a distinguished road

Hi

To be able to use the drive on both Windows and OSX you'll need to format it to the FAT filesystem.

You should do it on your Mac using Disk Utility (choose MSDOS format), because Windows doesn't let you format a single FAT partition bigger than 32GB.

Back-up your data before you format the disk - formatting it will erase everything on there.

Alternatively, you can partition the drive and have the different partitions formatted in different filesystems (e.g., one FAT, one HFS+, one NTFS, or whatever). If you search the forums you'll find a lot of discussions about this
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

FAT or you could partition...Mac and Win....two sections.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
mutejute

mutejute is on a distinguished road

i dont have a mac (yet) but you can format it to ext2/ext3 (linux filesystem). since mac is a unix variant, i think it can read/write on those fs. for windows, there is a program called IFS drive that you can download, so you can mount a ext2/ext3 usb drive.

i used to have a nas drive that is ext2 formatted. i had IFS drive installed in windows XP so that i can use the nas drive as usb drive too and have read/write access to it. but that was a year ago, so i dont know the progress with regards to the IFS program. you can search google for more info. hth.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Right now, the only way for a Mac to write to NTFS is to serve the drive over a network. The only way for a PC to read/write HFS is to install third party software such as MacDrive.
Leopard (10.5) promises to allow NTFS write.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Leopard (10.5) promises to allow NTFS write.
You sure about that? Microsoft hasn't given people the rights to use NTFS which is the reason we haven't been able to write to NTFS drives yet, its not something apple has to decide to program

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Of course I'm sure! I was sure that Leopard and the iPhone were going to be released in April 2007.... You are right, I should have phrased that differently. It is a widely hoped for rumor.
QUOTE Thanks
slim91

ok thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
It is a widely hoped for rumor.
Ain't THAT the truth!

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
You sure about that? Microsoft hasn't given people the rights to use NTFS which is the reason we haven't been able to write to NTFS drives yet, its not something apple has to decide to program
Actually, full read/write NTFS support was just added to Linux, so it's not that difficult to imagine Leopard also having this capability

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

yea NTFS-3g. Even the read support in Panther/Tiger is via a licensed utility from FreeBSD but Microsoft will not release the code to allow it to work

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
slim91

is there another type of format which allows me to read and write in both win and mac and upload files bigger than 2 gb?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using my Thomson TV as a monitor for my Macbook..... | Firewire transfer rate »