New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Advice For An External DVD Burner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thomas.mascaro

thomas.mascaro is on a distinguished road

hi there. i've had my mac mini for almost a month now and couldn't be happier, but i wish i would have bought it with a superdrive (just didn't have the money then). can anyone recommend an external dvd burner? everyone i look at online says they are for pc only and not mac. thanks alot.

Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo / 1 GB RAM / 60 GB HD / Combo Drive / Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mighty Mouse / Samsung 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor / JBL Creature Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Buy THIS.

Put it in THIS.

I have 2, they rock. They are FW only though....

QUOTE Thanks
General Klinger

General Klinger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" IMac 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo

What does FW mean? Since I am new to the Mac scene, will this allow me to copy a DVD and burn it from the Superdrive on my Imac? Basically copy while burning? The superdrive doesn't exactly wow me with it's burning capabilities
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Oh, sorry, it's FirwWire.

You'll need to use MacTheRipper (MTR) to copy the DVD to your Hard Drive and then TOAST to rip it back to a DVD.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post
What does FW mean?
Like USB, Firewire is a connector specification also known as iLink from Sony or the proper spec name of IEEE-1394. Invented by Apple, they use the name Firewire. There are two speeds. The original 400MBs (IEEE-1394a) and the newer less popular 800MBs (IEEE-1394b). I'm sure you can fine more info on Wikipedia or else where if you need details.

You could by a faster external DVD writing and get a performance boost over you internal iMac one.
QUOTE Thanks
General Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Like USB, Firewire is a connector specification also known as iLink from Sony or the proper spec name of IEEE-1394. Invented by Apple, they use the name Firewire. There are two speeds. The original 400MBs (IEEE-1394a) and the newer less popular 800MBs (IEEE-1394b). I'm sure you can fine more info on Wikipedia or else where if you need details.

You could by a faster external DVD writing and get a performance boost over you internal iMac one.
Well I knew what Fireware was, but I didn't catch on to the abbreviation. So I guess running a 2nd DVD/RW drive from the firewire wouldn't allow me to copy and write at the same time using both drives? I know I could do it on my PC, since it had a DVD/RW drive and a DVD-rom drive.

If that doesn't work, does running a DVD/RW drive over firewire cause any problems with programs as far as burning or does it show up as a regular drive?
QUOTE Thanks
General Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Oh, sorry, it's FirwWire.

You'll need to use MacTheRipper (MTR) to copy the DVD to your Hard Drive and then TOAST to rip it back to a DVD.
Do those programs come with the mac? Are they freeware, or do I have to "purchase" them?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

MTR is freeware, Toast is, IIRC, about $79 or so. Neither comes with the Mac.

It's not FW that would keep you from doing it specifically. There is not an all in one solution, that I know of, that will allow you to just strait copy a Movie on a Mac. Roxios Popcorn will do it, but it won't work with the CSS encryption pretty much every DVD has these days so you have to resort to what I described.

QUOTE Thanks
General Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
MTR is freeware, Toast is, IIRC, about $79 or so. Neither comes with the Mac.

It's not FW that would keep you from doing it specifically. There is not an all in one solution, that I know of, that will allow you to just strait copy a Movie on a Mac. Roxios Popcorn will do it, but it won't work with the CSS encryption pretty much every DVD has these days so you have to resort to what I described.
I can tell I am going to miss my PC already :lol:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Well, I don't know if I would say you'll miss it, but given the sheer mass of programs for the PC, this sort of thing is bound to happen. What you find on the Mac side is one or two app that are VERY good at what they do, as opposed to 25 on the PC side, all of which are mediocre at best.

QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I tried using an internal dvd burner (BenQ 1640) in an external enclosure, but that was not too successful, so I bought an external drive (LG E10L) which has worked fine.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post
I can tell I am going to miss my PC already :lol:
For this, yep you will miss your PC. The only thing I have not found viable alternatives for.

If all you are looking for is to be able to watch a DVD while you're away from home base and without the need to burn it to disk - try Drive-in.

Made by Flip4Mac folks, it will not be freeware, but the beta testing has been extended and no mention on their site for how long at this time.
It creates a complete backup of the disk without breaking the encryption. Thus a 7GB disk will be 7GB which will limit the # of movies you can carry around with you depending on your drive space. The beta period which was to have been up 5/1 has been extended with no mention at this time as to how long. So far have only found 1 disk that the program has had problems with and believe they are working on that particular issue prior to final release.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
General Klinger

To be quite honest, without incriminating myself, I burn alot of DVD's Will that MTR program allow me to delete the crap off a DVD that I don't want (i.e trailers,extras) and allow me to copy just the movie is does it only do 1:1 copies?
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

Thomas I am using an internal LG DVD burner in a case connected via usb that used to be connected to my windos pc; toast as burning software and the only software I miss from windos is anydvd. I have no speed troubles and the drive is working perfectly. It can be used in an "on the fly" setup with the internal drive. I only use firewire to import dv video.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Front row problem | Ext HD not showing but connected? »